Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask anExpert.

Canada Business Law

Canada Ontario, i rent out the first floor office n

currently the tenant refuse to...
Canada Ontario, i rent out the first floor office n currently the tenant refuse to pay rental n no response when i try to contact her. what i can do? can i chang the lock?
9/6/2017
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Does your lease talk about locking out or what happens if she defaults on her rent?

this Lease may be terminated upon 10 days notice and the term will then immediately become forfeited and void, and the Landlord may without further notice or any form of legal process immediately reenter the Premises or any part of the Premises and in the name of the whole repossess and enjoy the same as of its former state anything contained in this Lease or in any statute or law to the contrary notwithstanding.
above is the term that I can terminate the agreement if default by tenant. also , the tenant already move all her stuffs out and the office is empty. but the lease is for one year, what I can do nw?

You can lock her out and take over the premises.

And then your next step is to sue for the rent for the full term of the lease, plus interest and your costs.

If you are owed not more than $25,000 you can sue in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If you are owed more than that you would have to retain a lawyer and sue in superior court.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Do i need to send the letter first before go by court? Can I go directly by court?
You would have to send a demand letter first and give her a deadline for paying you in full. Then you can sue.
I already email and txt her for such issue n I am going to pursue the legal action if no response from her. because of that, do i still need to send her the letter first ? thx
You should send one formal demand letter first. It should not be by email. It is better to do it by registered mail though that is not necessary.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Legal Ease
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer