How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Ease Your Own Question
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Category: Canada Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 101410
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
Type Your Canada Business Law Question Here...
Legal Ease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Canada Ontario, i rent out the first floor office n

This answer was rated:

Canada Ontario, i rent out the first floor office n currently the tenant refuse to pay rental n no response when i try to contact her. what i can do? can i chang the lock?

Hello! My name is Debra (formerly known as Legal Ease). Thank you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

I am sorry to hear this.

Does your lease talk about locking out or what happens if she defaults on her rent?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
this Lease may be terminated upon 10 days notice and the term will then immediately become forfeited and void, and the Landlord may without further notice or any form of legal process immediately reenter the Premises or any part of the Premises and in the name of the whole repossess and enjoy the same as of its former state anything contained in this Lease or in any statute or law to the contrary notwithstanding.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
above is the term that I can terminate the agreement if default by tenant. also , the tenant already move all her stuffs out and the office is empty. but the lease is for one year, what I can do nw?

You can lock her out and take over the premises.

And then your next step is to sue for the rent for the full term of the lease, plus interest and your costs.

If you are owed not more than $25,000 you can sue in Small Claims Court and can self-represent. If you are owed more than that you would have to retain a lawyer and sue in superior court.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do i need to send the letter first before go by court? Can I go directly by court?
You would have to send a demand letter first and give her a deadline for paying you in full. Then you can sue.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I already email and txt her for such issue n I am going to pursue the legal action if no response from her. because of that, do i still need to send her the letter first ? thx
You should send one formal demand letter first. It should not be by email. It is better to do it by registered mail though that is not necessary.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?

Legal Ease and other Canada Business Law Specialists are ready to help you