Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask an Expert.

I live in condo townhouse development of 19units. The

Customer Question
property manager is calling the...
I live in condo townhouse development of 19units. The property manager is calling the shots. Presently he is the only one to sign cheques and if a board member is added our maintenance fee will go up.
He also wants to do away with an audit because if we don't our fees will go up as well. He has total control
What can we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/16/2016
Business Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

Are you on the board?

I was and resigned because after a short time I did not like what I was observing. I let them know about the two signatures, but the board said nothing!
I can't get any answers and have already paid!!
Where is my answer to am I on the board??

The situation sounds very odd and troubling.

The property manager is employed by the board. The property manager does not have any authority except that which is delegated to the property manager by the board.

If the property manager is out of control then the property manager should be fired. It is not acceptable for the board to delegate some powers to the property manager and one power relates to money. You are completely correct that two signatures must be used at all times for all cheques.

The property manager has been allowed to call the shots and this is not acceptable because the board owes the owners a duty of care and the board cannot allow a property manager to make decisions that can hurt the owners.

Does that answer your question?