Canada Business Law

Have Canadian Business Law Questions? Ask an Expert.

I was working as a consultant oilwell drilling company. My…

Customer Question
I was working as a...
I was working as a consultant for an oilwell drilling company. My job required that I be on location 24hrs a day, for a set day rate. The pay roll reflected this as my name went for 24 hrs a day. A while ago they changed the book keeping to say that I was being paid for a 12 hr day. I assume to comply with some sort of labor law. I was still required to be on sight for 24 hrs a day. Some oil companies required that they supply 2 suppervisors working 12 hr shifts instead of one working all day, and these suppervisors recieved the same pay rate for their days that I recieved for mine. I was wondering if I had a case for lost wages. If one could make the case that I was owed money for the second 12 hrs shift each day, it would be worth well over $300,000. I had no formal contract with the company. I do however have a copy of the payroll for time in question.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Canada Business Law
1/25/2016
Business Lawyer: Legal Ease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer

I am not following the facts just yet. Are you still being paid exactly what you are supposed to be paid per day?

I am no longer working with the company. I don't know how to clarify my question, pretty much said it all the first time.

Yes but the way you put out the facts are still not clear to me.

I know they changed the way they were recording the hours. When they made this change where you receiving the same amount of money at the end of each day that you were before or half of that amount of money?

I was receiving the same amount. My responses are taking so long because I am working away with no regular internet access

It may be that I misunderstanding the facts. But for what you are saying you are not out any money at all and so you cannot claim twice as much money simply because they decides to show you were working 12 hours a day instead of 24 hours a day but you still got paid is if you're working 24 hours a day.

So the answer is no you certainly can claim that they owe you for 12 hours a day because you were little paid you for the 24. But, if I have misunderstood the facts please do clarify.