Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

How many women must be randomly selected to estimate the…

Customer Question
How many women must...

How many women must be randomly selected to estimate the mean weight of women in one age group. We want​ 90% confidence that the sample mean is within
2.52.5
lb of the population​ mean, and the population standard deviation is known to be
2929
lb.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Calculus and Above
11/14/2017
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with this problem.

The calculation for the required minimum sample size is:

n = (z * σ / E)^2

For a 90% confidence level, use z = 1.645.

Then, with E = 2.5 and σ = 29, the required minimum sample size would be:

n = (1.645 * 29 / 2.5)^2 = 364.1

However, since the value of n is a minimum, but the sample size must also be an integer, the calculated value must be rounded up to the next whole number: 365.

Solution: n = 365

If this value is marked as incorrect, it may be that your course wants you to use a value z with only 2 digits after the decimal point. That is, z = 1.65. That change would make the minimum sample size 366 instead of 365.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution.

Thanks,

Ryan