Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

The torque, T Nm, required to rotate shafts of different…

Customer Question
The torque, T Nm...
The torque, T Nm , required to rotate shafts of different diameters,
D mm, on a machine has been tested and recorded as below.
D (mm) 6 10 14 18 21 25
T (mm) 5.5 7 9.5 12.5 13.5 16.5
a) Plot a scatter diagram of the results with diameter of the machine as the independent variable.
b)Use the method of least squares to determine the linear regression equation that relates the torque to the diameter.
c) Estimate the value of torque required when the diameter is 16 mm.
d) Calculate the coefficient of correlation between these variables and comment on your prediction obtained in (c)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Calculus and Above
8/4/2017
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with this problem. I'll get the solution posted for you as quickly as I can.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi again,

Please see the document at the following link for the solution to this problem.

Regression

Please let me know if you have any trouble accessing this document, and please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The scatter diagram has not been included in the answer
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you please include this

I pasted it in there. There is no graph showing in part a?

Are you opening this in Microsoft Word, or some other application?

Here is a link to the Excel file that has both the calculations for the values in the table, and the original scatterplot:

Regression(Excel)

And here is a link to a PDF version of the original Word file:

Regression(PDF)

Please let me know if the issue is still unresolved.

Thanks,

Ryan