Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

Calculus and Above

I have statistical question

Customer Question
I have statistical question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Calculus and Above
11/28/2016
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 1 year ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. How can I help you?

Ryan

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thanks, ***** ***** statistical questions regarding data analysis
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you just respond to my question here
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not pay more now

Please post the question and the data that goes with it. I'll be happy to take a look at it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i want the respond here

That's fine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
oky
i tested 270 students a psychological test Likert type (5) the total score of this test is 320 which is the sum of 8 sub scales, how I can deiced the level of the psychological adjustment for all students whether very high, high, moderate and lowest.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you there

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, is it clear?

So, if I understand this correctly, each student surveyed is given a composite score from 0 to 320, and you want to subdivide that range into four different classes.

Is that correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i did compose the total score for all student, but it is matter of how I decide who how my students preform on the test , I mean I want to categorize the total score into 4-5 categories and encoded.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
like
very high adjusted students
High adjusted
moderated adjusted
low adjusted

This sounds like something that would be a judgement call on your part, as the researcher conducting the survey.

Depending on what was measured, and the various subscores, this may be more complicated than just dividing the total score range into equal-width subranges.

I would suspect that a reasonable approach would be to find out how other similar studies may have been done, so that your approach is consistent with comparable studies.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there is no previous research on this area,
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
all sub-scales are equal 40 total score
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how about the Weighted Mean?

With no other research to use as a guide, you're really kind of on your own as far as designing your experiment. Whichever way you decide to go, though, you want to be very clear about how you are classifying various scores, and why you have chosen that particular breakdown.

As for the subscores, you can use a weighted mean to calculate the composite score for each survey participant. However, you will have to determine what weighting factors to use for each of the eight subscores, based on the data that is used to make up each subscore, and how that relates to the partipant's "adjustment".

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Now, if the mean of the total score is 247,6, can I use this mean to deiced who are up the mean score and who is lower than the mean? Yes?

Yes, you could do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, but this not sophisticated way for 270 participants, and should be some another ways

You could go a step farther and calculate the standard deviation of the scores.

You could then establish a scale along the following lines:

More than 2 standard deviations above the mean -> very high adjusted students
Between the mean and 2 standard deviations above the mean -> High adjusted
Between the mean and 2 standard deviations below the mean -> moderated adjusted
More than 2 standard deviations below the mean -> low adjusted

However, this is somewhat arbitrary, and a peer reviewer might have criticisms about your methodology.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
some one show me this way
!- the interval = 5-1=4
4/5=.8
5-.8=4.2
4.2/5 *100= 84%
this this the highest and so on ....
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
because of Likert Type
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if any student has between 100-84 is in highest
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this percentage

I'm not sure where that comes from.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what i have got after i follow this way is 84*320/100 = 268.8
this mean that all student between 320= or less 268.8 are in the highest Q
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
268.8> or = are in the Q1

Yes, I would agree with that last part.

I'm just not sure about the justification for the calculation of the 84% value.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to ensure what level of psychological adjustment my participants are.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if I conducted like test in any subject in the class room how I can rank the result it is smellier

"!- the interval = 5-1=4
4/5=.8
5-.8=4.2
4.2/5 *100= 84%
this this the highest and so on ....
"

What I am saying is that I don't know where the various numbers in the above calculation come from.

It seems that the 5 - 1 = 4 calculation is to determine the range of response values.

The next line divides this value of 4 by 5, and I'm not clear on what that result is supposed to represent.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this the Likert scales (5)
the idea is to use the interval and then along 4, or 5 or even 6 I repeat to the next like
4.2-0.8= 3.4
3.4/5*100= 68
68*320/ 100= 217.6
all students between 217.6 and 268.8 are in the high level which is the second
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hello

I understand the math calculations that are being shown. It's the reasoning behind them that I am not clear on.

If you continue with this pattern, then you will divide up the 320 score as follows:

>84% (Score > 268.8) = very high adjusted students
68% - 84% (217.6 < Score < 268.8) = High adjusted
52% - 68% (166.4 < Score < 217.6) = moderated adjusted
< 52% (Score < 166.4) = low adjusted

I'm not suggesting that you cannot, or should not, divide up the scale in this manner. But what makes

this scale better or more appropriate than dividing the range up into equal segments of 25% each?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
you mean the quarters?

Yes. Why can't you divide the composite score up as follows:

>75% (Score > 240) = very high adjusted students
50% - 75% (160 < Score < 240) = High adjusted
25% - 50% (80 < Score < 160) = moderated adjusted
< 25% (Score < 80) = low adjusted

This would be a very different distribution, but I don't see where there is justification for saying that one way is better than the other.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could I ask another question

Sure

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If I have two measurements and i want to find how the third measure mediated the relationships between the two measure what is the test to do that and any condition require?

I'm sorry, I don't have an answer for that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you
so, we finish now?

Yes, unless you need clarification of anything that we discussed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you,

You're welcome. :)

Ryan
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer