Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

An airline wants to select a computer software package for

Customer Question

An airline wants to select a computer software package for its reservation system. Four software packages (1, 2, 3, and 4) are commercially available. The airline will choose the package that bumps as few passengers as possible during a month. An experiment is set up in which each package is used to make reservations for 5 randomly selected weeks. (A total of 20 weeks was included in the experiment.) The number of passengers bumped each week is obtained, which gives rise to the following Excel output:ANOVA
Source of Variation SS df MS F P-value F crit
Between Groups 212.4 3 8.304985 0.001474 3.238867
Within Groups 136.4 8.525
Total 348.8
a) What is the within groups degrees of freedom for this analysis? Explain how you obtain your answer.b) What is the total degrees of freedom? Explain how you obtain your answer.c) What is the among-group (between-group) mean squares? Explain how you obtain your answer.d) At a significance level of 1%, what conclusion can you infer? Explain how you obtain your answer.
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for opening the new question.

In the ANOVA table that is given for this problem, can you please confirm which values are missing from each row? Unfortunately, the formatting of the table gets messed up a bit when posting.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ANOVA
Source of Variation SS df MS F P-value Fcrit
Within Groups 136.4 8.525
Total 348.8
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ss is 212.4
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
df is 3
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ms is 8.5252
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
f is 8.304985
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

I think the missing values are the MS value in the Between Groups row, and the degrees of freedom values in the Within Groups row and the Total row. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ms 8.525
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
nothing for between the groups for ms
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sorry ms 8.525 is within groups
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ss within groups is 136.4
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

I think I have it. I know there are some deliberate blank spaces in the table. It's just a matter of being sure which entries were left blank when the numbers get squished together and the table formatting is lost.

I'll have a solution posted for you shortly. When I post it, please double-check the ANOVA table in the solution and make sure that it matches with the table that you have.

Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Here are the solutions:

ANOVA

As always, please feel free to ask if you have questions about any of these solutions.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there any other way to see the solution. all I am see is ads and programs to download.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
disregard it work now.
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Please let me know if you have any difficulty downloading files. There are other options. You shouldn't need to download anything other than the file itself.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
A realtor wants to compare the average sales-to-appraisal ratios of residential properties sold in four neighborhoods (A, B, C, and D). Four properties are randomly selected from each neighborhood and the ratios recorded for each, as shown below.A: 1.2, 1.1, 0.9, 0.4 C: 1.0, 1.5, 1.1, 1.3
B: 2.5, 2.1, 1.9, 1.6 D: 0.8, 1.3, 1.1, 0.7Interpret the results of the analysis summarized in the following table:Source df SS MS F PR > F
Neighborhoods 3.1819 1.0606 10.76 0.001
Error 12
Total 4.3644a) What is the within group sum of squares for this analysis? Explain how you obtain your answer.b) What is the within group mean squares for this analysis? Explain how you obtain your answer.c) At the 0.05 level of significance, is there evidence of a difference in the mean ratios for the 4 neighborhoods? Explain how you obtain your answer.a) What is the null hypothesis for Levene's test for homogeneity of variances?b) What are the numerator and denominator degrees of freedom for Levene's test for homogeneity of variances at a 5% level of significance are, respectively? Explain how you obtain your answer.c) What is the value of the test statistic for Levene's test for homogeneity of variances? Explain how you obtain your answer.d) What is the critical value of Levene's test for homogeneity of variances at a 5% level of significance? Explain how you obtain your answer.e) What should be the decision for the Levene's test for homogeneity of variances at a 5% level of significance? Explain how you obtain your answer.f) What should be the conclusion for the Levene's test for homogeneity of variances at a 5% level of significance?
A) There is not sufficient evidence that the variances are all the same.
B) There is sufficient evidence that the variances are all the same.
C) There is not sufficient evidence that the variances are not all the same.
D) There is sufficient evidence that the variances are not all the same.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have some more questions if you can help. this section is more difficult for me.
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Yes, I can help you with these. We'll have the same issue with the table though. Give me a few minutes to see if I can re-format it and I'll send it to you for confirmation.

For the question regarding Levene's test, is there data that goes with that question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
its suppose to be the data I gave you
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Question 3: (Continuing with the analysis in Question 2….)this is what the assignment says
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Ok. It looked like something might be missing since the items skipped from "c" to "a" again with nothing between them.

Please check the table in the screenshot at the link below and compare it with the table for question 2.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that is correct
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Ok, thanks. I'll get these back to you shortly.

Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

For the Levene's Test statistic, are you expected to compute that by hand, or can you use software?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
by hand
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Ok. That will take a bit of time to work out and write up. I'll get this back to you as quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
still here
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry. I had some computer issues. I'm still working this.

Do you want solutions for Question 2 now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if you could finish it yes
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Here is the solution for Question 2

Question2

I'll get #3 sent to you ASAP.

Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

Here are the solutions for Question 3:

Question3

I'm sorry this took so long. I had considerable trouble confirming that the hand calculation matched the value produced by a statistics package.

If you have any questions about these solutions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

You're welcome.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Psychologists have found that people are generally reluctant to transmit bad news to their peers. This phenomenon has been termed the "MUM effect." To investigate the cause of the MUM effect, 40 undergraduates at Duke University participated in an experiment. Each subject was asked to administer an IQ test to another student and then provide the test taker with his or her percentile score. Unknown to the subject, the test taker was a bogus student who was working with the researchers. The experimenters manipulated two factors: subject visibility and success of test taker, each at two levels. Subject visibility was either visible or not visible to the test taker. Success of the test taker was either top 20% or bottom 20%. Ten subjects were randomly assigned to each of the 2 x 2 = 4 experimental conditions, then the time (in seconds) between the end of the test and the delivery of the percentile score from the subject to the test taker was measured. (This variable is called the latency to feedback.) The data were subjected to appropriate analyses with the following results. In the context of this study, interpret the statement: "Subject visibility and test taker success interact."
anova table.docx 11 KB
A. The difference between the mean feedback time for visible and nonvisible subjects depends on the success of the test taker.
B. The difference between the mean feedback time for test takers scoring in the top 20% and bottom 20% depends on the visibility of the subject.
C. The relationship between feedback time and subject visibility depends on the success of the test taker.
D. All of the above are correct interpretations.
Expert:  Ryan replied 11 months ago.

The Anova table that goes with this problem is not available on my end. Can you attach the .docx file to a reply?