Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

In a survey of 80 gh school football players who committed…

Customer Question
In a survey of 80...
In a survey of 80 high school football players who committed to play in the Division III CCIW conference, 64 said that they would work out in their high school weight rooms in the summer before college. The margin of error for the survey was 6%. A census of all CCIW football players (not just freshmen) showed that 59% worked out at their high schools. One can conclude that:
A. the subjects were less than forthcoming in their responses to the survey.
B. the sample was not representative of the population.
C. there must have been an error in the determination of the margin of error.
D. the census results are consistent with the confidence interval of the study.
A botany student counted 11 blades of grass in one square centimeter of
lawn and measured the lawn as a rectangle 61 m by 31 m. She reported
that there were 208,010,000 blades of grass in the lawn. The precision
of her conclusion:
A. correctly represents her measurements.
B. is less than her measurements warrant.
C. could be greater if she used a more precise calculator.
D. is excessive given her measurements.
The size of an e-mail file is stated as 210 kB, but the file size is actually 220.5 kB. What is the absolute error?
A. 5%
B. 10%
C. 10.5 kB
D. -10.5 kB
Temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit of the ocean at various depths:
A. Ratio
B. Interval
C. Ordinal
D. Nominal
Convert 5.65 to a percent.
A. 565%
B. 5.65%
C. 0.565%
D. 56.5%
A homeowner put a brand-name fertilizer/weed killer on half of his lawn and a generic fertilizer/weed killer on the other half. After three weeks, the generic side had 1 weed per square meter, the other side 1.7 weeds per square meter. The generic side required two mowings in the 3 weeks, the brand-name side one. The homeowner concluded that the generic was superior to the brand-name. Determine which evaluation guideline applies best in questioning the results of the described study.
A. Consider possible confounding variables.
B. Consider the sample.
C. Consider the type of study.
D. Consider the source.
Soft drink sizes: small, medium, large:
A. Qualitative, nominal
B. Quantitative, ordinal
C. Quantitative, ordinal, discrete
D. Qualitative, ordinal
Which is the best fertilizer for Mr. Jimenez’ backyard grass? Select the type of study most appropriate to the question.
A. Experimental
B. Experimental blinded
C. Case-controlled observational
D. Observational
A nutritionist wants to conduct a study to validate the efficacy of an herb as an aid in weight loss. She randomly assigns half of a group of overweight persons to a treatment group who are given the herb with instructions for its use and a planned diet for six weeks. The other half of the group is given the same diet without the herb. A nurse at the nutrition center weighs each subject on Friday of each week. Select the potential source of confounding.
A. The placebo effect
B. Method of assignment to treatment and control groups
C. Experimenter effect
D. The study is essentially free of confounding sources
Humanities majors spend an average of $115 per course on books.
Mathematics majors spend an average of $70 per course on books. What is
the percent difference between the two amounts relative to the amount
for mathematics majors (round to the nearest percent)?
A. 64%
B. 39%
C. 50%
D. 42%
A nutritionist wants to conduct a study to validate the efficacy of an herb as an aid in weight loss. She randomly assigns half of a group of overweight persons to a treatment group who are given the herb with instructions for its use and a planned diet for six weeks. The other half of the group is given parsley with the same instructions and same diet. A nurse at the nutrition center weighs each subject on Friday of each week. Select the potential source of confounding.
A. Placebo effect
B. Experimenter effect
C. Method of assignment to treatment and control groups
D. The study is essentially free of potential confounding.
Compared with a stopwatch that gives readings as --. - seconds, a stopwatch that gives readings as --. - - seconds is:
A. more accurate, but not necessarily more precise.
B. more precise and more accurate.
C. not necessarily more precise or more accurate.
D. more precise, but not necessarily more accurate.
Suppose that the cost of a statistics text was $50 in 1985 and is $100 in 2000. What is the ‘Statistics Text Index’ number, rounded to the nearest tenth, for the 2000 edition with the 1985 price as the reference value?
A. 20.0
B. 200.0
C. 50.0
D. 2.0
One month before a recall election, a poll of 500 Wisconsin voters showed that 46% planned to vote for the Democratic challenger Tom Barrett and 45% planned to vote for Republican Governor ***** *****. Undecided voters constituted another 9%. The margin of error was 5 percentage points. What conclusion can you draw from this poll?
A. Barrett will win the election.
B. Walker can’t get over 50% of the votes.
C. The race is too close to call.
D. No one will win.
Which data provide the answer to the question: “How frequently can a student at Eureka College be expected to study more than three hours a day?”
A. Of 100 students surveyed, 43 reported that they study at least three hours a day twice a week.
B. Of 100 students surveyed, 43 reported that they have studied at least three hours a day.
C. Of 100 students surveyed, 43 reported that they studied at least three hours a day twice last week.
D. Of 100 students surveyed, 43 reported that they intend to study at least three hours a day next week.
Compared with a metric scale that has grams as the smallest division, a scale with milligrams as the smallest division:
A. will guarantee measurements that are more accurate, but not necessarily more precise.
B. will guarantee measurements that are more precise and more accurate.
C. will guarantee measurements that are more precise, but not necessarily more accurate.
D. will not guarantee measurements that are more accurate or more precise.
A college student who does laundry infrequently wants to determine the effect of bluing on what should be white clothes. Select the sample most representative of the population.
A. Reports of two friends, one of whom was given bluing
B. The reports of an internet chatroom on laundry techniques
C. Two loads of personal wash, one with, one without bluing
D.
Two loads of wash, one personal, one of a friend, the bluing assigned by
a coin flip
A sample consists of every 49th student from a group of 496 students. Identify the type of sampling used.
A. Systematic
B. Cluster
C. Convenience
D. Random
A poll of 700 persons attending the Taste of Chicago showed that 455 persons, 65% of the sample, believed that the food was overpriced. It is estimated that 1,250,000 persons attend the Taste. Statistics suggest that, although 65% plus or minus 5% of attendees believe that the food is overpriced, the Taste is a popular event. The raw data of the study is (are)
A. 65% of the sample.
B. 700 persons, 455 persons.
C. 1,250,000 persons, 700 persons, 455 persons.
D. (60%, 70%).
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Calculus and Above
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/5/2016
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with these problems. I'll have the solutions posted for you as soon as I can.

Thanks,

Ryan

SusanAthena
SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree