Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

Carole with the analyzation of Stroop and native language…

Customer Question
carole with the analyzation of Stroop...
carole
with the analyzation of Stroop and native language related to t-test
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Calculus and Above
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/15/2016
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. How may I help you?

Ryan

to write a 1 page analysis on the stroop test related toThis study compares the ability of native English speakers and native Spanish speakers to state the font color of words that are color names. Although some of the participants are nonnative English speakers, all participants are considered fluent in English at the time of the study. The tricky aspect of this task is that the words will be printed in colors that are incongruent to the color names. The independent variable is the native language, and the dependent variable is the time it takes to state the color of font for all the words. It is hypothesized the native English speakers will take longer to state the colors compared with the nonnative speakers. The data from the hypothetical study is given below. The explanations for the variable names used in the table are participant number (ParticN), time for native English speaker to read color words (NECW), age of participants in years (Age), and time for Spanish speaker to read color words (SSCW).
ParticN NECW Age ParticN SSCW Age
1 39 27 11 32 52
2 44 32 12 27 27
3 59 29 13 29 33
4 38 34 14 34 40
5 58 40 15 40 31
6 62 38 16 38 28
7 41 35 17 35 22
8 59 51 18 28 23
9 58 50 19 36 25
10 76 29 20 38 38
Obtain the descriptive statistics.
Descriptive Statistics:
ParticN Variable NECW Mean StDev
ParticN 38 4.0000 *
39 1.0000 *
41 7.0000 *
44 2.0000 *
58 7.00 2.83
59 5.50 3.54
62 6.0000 *
76 10.000 *Variable Age Mean StDev
ParticN 27 1.0000 *
29 6.50 4.95
32 2.0000 *
34 4.0000 *
35 7.0000 *
38 6.0000 *
40 5.0000 *
50 9.0000 *
51 8.0000 *Variable SSCW Mean StDev
ParticN_1 27 12.000 *
28 18.000 *
29 13.000 *
32 11.000 *
34 14.000 *
35 17.000 *
36 19.000 *
38 18.00 2.83
40 15.000 *
Variable Age_1 Mean StDev
ParticN_1 22 17.000 *
23 18.000 *
25 19.000 *
27 12.000 *
28 16.000 *
31 15.000 *
33 13.000 *
38 20.000 *
40 14.000 *
52 11.000 *Next, analyze the data with an independent t-test.Two-sample T for ParticN_1 vs SSCW
N Mean StDev SE Mean
ParticN_1 10 15.50 3.03 0.96
SSCW 10 33.70 4.55 1.4
Difference = μ (ParticN_1) - μ (SSCW)
Estimate for difference: -18.20
95% CI for difference: (-21.88, -14.52)
T-Test of difference = 0 (vs ≠): T-Value = -10.54 P-Value = 0.000 DF = 15Two-Sample T-Test and CI: Age_1, SSCW
Two-sample T for Age_1 vs SSCW
N Mean StDev SE Mean
Age_1 10 31.90 9.27 2.9
SSCW 10 33.70 4.55 1.4
Difference = μ (Age_1) - μ (SSCW)
Estimate for difference: -1.80
95% CI for difference: (-8.85, 5.25)
T-Test of difference = 0 (vs ≠): T-Value = -0.55 P-Value = 0.591 DF = 13Two-Sample T-Test and CI: ParticN, NECW
Two-sample T for ParticN vs NECW
N Mean StDev SE Mean
ParticN 10 5.50 3.03 0.96
NECW 10 53.4 12.4 3.9
Difference = μ (ParticN) - μ (NECW)
Estimate for difference: -47.90
95% CI for difference: (-56.87, -38.93)
T-Test of difference = 0 (vs ≠): T-Value = -11.90 P-Value = 0.000 DF = 10Two-Sample T-Test and CI: Age, NECW
Two-sample T for Age vs NECW
N Mean StDev SE Mean
Age 10 36.50 8.42 2.7
NECW 10 53.4 12.4 3.9
Difference = μ (Age) - μ (NECW)
Estimate for difference: -16.90
95% CI for difference: (-26.99, -6.81)
T-Test of difference = 0 (vs ≠): T-Value = -3.57 P-Value = 0.003 DF = 15Decision (in terms of the hypotheses): The hypothesis did not support the results.
Since 4.72652616 > 1.734063592 we reject Ho and accept Ha
Conclusion (in terms of the problem):
There is sufficient evidence that the native English speakers will take longer to state the colors compared with the nonnative speakers.
this is what the assignment was and the statistical analyzes

Ok. I'll need a few minutes to read through this. I'll get back to you shortly.

ok

This is a bit like coming in at the middle of a conversation, so I'm trying to catch up with what may have already been done here.

Do you have all this information in a Word document, or even a PDF? Tables of information don't show up well when they are copied and pasted, so it might be helpful to have the original document. If you have one, could you attach that document to your reply? If not, we'll manage.

Where did all of this analysis data come from? Was this supplied to you as part of the project?

Do you know what software application was used?

Ryan

word doc and it was minitab it was a homework assignment
this is a hard file to download

Ok, it may not be necessary to attach the Word document.

(I have more to say, but it disappeared and I'll need to retype it. Hang on just a sec...)

The way that I see it, none of the tables of statistical information (other than the raw data) will help to address the research question that is being asked, which is "Do native English speakers take longer to state the colors compared with the nonnative speakers?"

Each of the tables given seems to compare pairs of variables other than "NECW vs SSCW".

The test statistic of 4.72652616 and the critical t-value of 1.734063592, and the resulting conclusion, are correct, but they are not supported by any of the other information that was included.

I can write up a formal hypothesis test that addresses the research question, but it won't be using any of the information provided other than the table of raw data.

Will that meet your needs for this project?

can u also use the T-test as well please

Ok, I'll get that written up and posted for you as quickly as I can.

Given the sizes of the samples, we don't have any choice but to use a t-test.

Hi again,

Here is the completed hypothesis test:

HypothesisTest

(Click on the link above to download the solution file.)

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer