Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

I am trying to answer your first question with Handback

Customer Question
I am trying to...

I am trying to answer your first question with Handback Industries...

Tutor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Yeah...did you provide the outcomes and answers.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Calculus and Above
1/25/2016
Tutor: JaySHarrison,
 replied 2 years ago
JaySHarrison

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a Homework Export. Would you please provide more details regarding this assignemnt.

I need help with the following:Problem summary: Congratulations. You have been hired as the new CEO for Handback Industries. You were excited until you started and within the first few days, the director of HR came into your office and indicated that the employees were threatening to strike and go to the media if things were not fixed immediately. Since your were successful in your Statistics course taken during the Summer of 2013, you decide that you will assist the HR Director with her analysis.Problem 1 - The employees have indicated that 95% of employees in one of the departments are receiving higher salaries than any other department because their supervisor parties with them each weekend. Some employees only have an hourly rate which you have to calculate their yearly salary before completing the calculations. Please calculate the 95% standard deviation for each department and indicate for me if any department is receiving on average $2K or more on the high end.Depart 1 Department 2 Department 3 Department 4 Department 5$22,450 18,550 B 22555 19050$30,050 27,050 16765 29950 21545$23,785 26,785 30050 23785 27950A 25050 29955 B 27550$27,594 26557 A 27650 25550A-$9/hr @ 40 hrs week @50 weeks a yearB-$11/hr @ 35 hrs week @52 weeks a yearIs any department receiving on average $2K or more on the high end of the standard deviation using standard deviation at 95%? If so, which department and be sure to explain your answer.Problem 2-Find the five number summary for the data for all five departments. Consider all five departments one department.Problem 3-Find the Q3 and median for Departments 1 and 3 individually. Which department has a higher Q3? Which department has a higher median?Problem 4-Find the Q1 and median for Departments 2 and 4 individually. Which department has a higher Q1? Which department has a higher median?(Please if you use excel/put all answers and show how I completed problems on WORD) Thanks.
does this help?
Tutor: JaySHarrison,
 replied 2 years ago

It does. I am sending it to the math and statistivs department. I have experieince as a math and statistics teacher, but there are experts specialized in this area.

Ok
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with these problems.

The following sentence from problem 1 requires some clarification:

"Please calculate the 95% standard deviation for each department and indicate for me if any department is receiving on average $2K or more on the high end."

In particular, the phrase "95% standard deviation" is not a standard statistical concept, and may be something that your particular instructor uses. My best guess would be that he/she is looking for the upper limit of a 95% confidence interval. Can you please clarify what is meant by this phrase? Alternatively, if you have a sample problem from class that is similar, that might help me to determine what is being asked for in that problem.

Also, I'm not sure how the table of data is supposed to look, as the formatting may have been lost when it was posted here. Does "Department 1" consist of the following salaries: {$22,450; $18,550; B; $22,555; $19,050}? Or does it consist of these salaries: {$22,450; $30,050; $23,785; A; $27,594} In other words, are the "departments" in the posted table listed by row or by column?

Thanks,

Ryan

$22,450; $30,050; $23,785; A; $27,594}

Hi again,

Thanks. So the "departments" are arranged by column then.

I'll still need some clarification concerning the first problem, but for now I can get started working on the other three.

Ryan

I believe that th95% Standard Deviation would be
Mean
Standard Dev
Confidence Value (95% Standard deviations)
Lower and upperI am not a professional though...that's why I am enlisting your help.

The difficulty on my end is that I don't (and can't) know how each and every instructor means everything that they say. Unfortunately, there are many who kind of invent their own vocabulary, and it is a challenge to know what they mean without having any context to help. I have no doubt that if I were participating in your course, I would know exactly what was meant by that phrase.

My best guess as to what is meant in that problem is that you are to determine the 95% confidence interval for the mean salary for each department, and then determine if any department's mean value exceeds the upper limit of any other department's confidence interval by at least $2000.

If that sounds to you like what your instructor probably intended, please let me know and I'll go ahead an work out the solutions for that. If it turns out that he meant something else, I'll be happy to rework the solution if needed.

Thanks,

Ryan

I think you are correct in what the instructor is looking for.

Ok, thanks. I'll get this posted for you as quickly as I can.

I do understand why you feel that way, as I do too,,,its an online course and my instructor is difficult to get a response from...now I know why.

Yep. ;)

This is what I came up with number 1:
Solution Problem 1
A = $x40x50--$18,000
B =$11x35x52--$20,020
Department 1 Department 2 Department 3 Department 4 Department 5
$22,450 18,550 20020 22555 19050
$30,050 27,050 16765 29950 21545
$23,785 26,785 30050 23785 27950
18000 25050 29955 20020 27550
$27,594 26557 18000 27650 25550
Total $121,879 $123,992 $114,790 $123,960 $121,645
Average x $24,376 $24,798 $22,958 $24,792 $24,329
Std Dev σ $ 4,670.70 $ 3,578.22 $ 6,534.93 $ 3,986.33 $ 3,892.17
z alph/2 for 95% 1.96 1.96 1.96 1.96 1.96
n 5 5 5 5 5
Std.Error = σ / √n $ 2,088.80 $ 1,600.23 $ 2,922.51 $ 1,782.74 $ 1,740.63
Confidendence interval
Upper limit x + 1.96*σ / √n $ 28,469.85 $ 27,934.85 $ 28,686.12 $ 28,286.17 $ 27,740.63
Lower limit x - 1.96*σ / √n $ 20,281.75 $ 21,661.95 $ 17,229.88 $ 21,297.83 $ 20,917.37
None of them has difference of $ 2000 in their upper limit, From the above calculation, it is clear that no department receiving on average $2k or more on the high end of the standard deviation using standard deviation at 95%

I'm sorry for the delay. I had a computer issue that lost all my work for me, and I had to start over. :(

The work you have posted for the first problem looks mostly correct. Given that we do not know the population standard deviation for the salaries in each department, and that each sample includes only five values, the t-distribution should be used for the confidence intervals, rather than the normal (z) distribution. (Unless your course it taking a short-cut...)

I'll get this all posted for you as quickly as I can.

Thank you for your patience. Here are the solutions:

Stats

Please feel free to ask if you have questions about any of these solutions.

Thanks,

Ryan