Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

Using the research question and two variables your learning

Customer Question

Using the research question and two variables your learning team developed for the Week 2 Business Research Project Part 1 assignment, create a no more than 350-word inferential statistics (hypothesis test). Include:(a) The research question
(b) Mock data for the independent and dependent variablesDetermine the appropriate statistical tool to test the hypothesis based on the research question.Conduct a hypothesis test with a 95% confidence level, using the statistical tool.Interpret the results and provide your findings.
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for using the site, and thank you for requesting me.

Can you post the research question and data that you would like to use for this?

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The data I just posted
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Give me a minute to retrieve the research question
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, no problem. The data file just appeared on my end, so I have that downloaded now.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, here is the research question. (Does gender have an effect wages/salary of professional in leadership positions within the Thompson Health Systems Organization)? The H0: Gender does not affect wages/salary of professionals in leadership positions within
the Thompson Health Systems Organization
The H1: Gender does affect wages/salary of professionals in leadership positions within the
Thompson Health Systems Organization
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The variables are Gender and wages
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Is the data in the Excel file from a real source, or it is hypothetical data?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this enough information
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't have a data set, I took the data out of a real research study the instructor said it was okay. I can provide the original study
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've uploaded the research study, where the data came from. I've used the positions, rather than the rank data.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just created the Excel spreadsheet to help myself out, I hope it helps
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, give me a few minutes to look over the research study and I'll get back to your shortly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, will do
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The instructor really isn't all that tough, so if we cover the requirements I'll be fine. She gives out A's like candy.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, here's what I think we should do with this...

The data provided in the study paper isn't quite sufficient to perform a hypothesis test as neither the raw data nor the various standard deviations are available. I would suggest that we create reasonable hypothetical standard deviation values, and then perform a test comparing the overall mean salary for males with the overall mean salary for females.

To do this, you will need to change the wording of your hypotheses slightly. I would phrase them as follows:

H0: There is no difference between the mean salaries for males and females in leadership positions within the Thompson Health Systems Organization

H1: There is a statistically significant difference between the mean salaries for males and females in leadership positions within the Thompson Health Systems Organization

As long as your instructor won't object to changing the wording (I'm always careful with these kinds of assignments when they refer to previous work, i.e. "developed for Week 2"), then we can proceed with this.

Ryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She keeps suggesting that the question written the way it is needs to be tweaked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She won't object, trust me some of the stuff my team members posted for our project, this won't be an issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Some of these people really do not belong in an MBA program.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it does.

The way that it was originally written speaks a bit toward causation, which is notoriously difficult to prove.

A better approach would be to hypothesize that the variables are independent (H0) or dependent (H1), and then perform a Chi-Square Test of Independence. There are two potential problems with that approach though. First, you may not have yet covered this test in your course, so it might not be appropriate for you to use yet. Second, the data that we have available to us does not lend itself to such a test.

I'll make alterations as needed and get this written up for you as quickly as I can.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We discussed the Chi-Square in class, she as well stated that some stats stuff is not appropriate to prove this. If that make sense, such as descriptive stats and some other things.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I need it by Sunday, if this works for you.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, no problem. I'll have it posted for you well before Sunday.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This class is supposed to be hardest in the MBA program, she is really not that difficult, and if anything needs adjusting she'll let you know. You fix it and get full credit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thank you
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Ok, sounds good.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.

Here is the hypothesis test:

HypothTest

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution, and please let me know if your instructor gives you any feedback that requires making any alterations. I'll be happy to do what I can to address any issues.

Thanks,

Ryan