Calculus and Above

Calculus Questions? Ask a Mathematician for Answers ASAP

Calculus and Above

A public opinion poll surveyed a simple random sample of voters.

Customer Question
Respondents were classified by gender...
A public opinion poll surveyed a simple random sample of voters. Respondents were classified by gender and by voting preference—Republican, Democrat, or Independent. The results follow.

Voting Preferences Republican Democrat Independent Row total
Male 200 150 50 400
Female 250 300 50 600
Column total 450 450 100 1000

If you conduct a chi-square test of independence, what is the expected frequency count of male Independents?

A. 50
B. 60
C. 40
D. 30

22) What parametric test is equivalent to the nonparametric Spearman's rank test?

A. T-test of correlation coefficient
B. T-test of two sample means
C. T-test of one sample mean.
D. T-test of two sample proportions

23) What is the variable used to predict another variable called?

A. Independent variable
B. Dependent variable
C. Moderating variable
D. Intervening variable

24) Michelle used a sample of 50 U.S. cities to estimate the relationship between crime, or annual property crimes per 100,000 persons, and income, or median income per capita. Her estimated regression equation was crime = 428 - .01 income. Assuming her model is statistically significant, if income decreases by $1,000, we would predict that crime will

A. decrease by 1
B. increase by 10
C. decrease by 10
D. increase by 100

25) In the least squares equation, Y' = 12 + 25X the value of 25 indicates

A. the y- intercept
B. for each unit increase in 'x', y' increases by 25
C. for each unit increase in 'y', 'x' increases by 25
D. the residual of 'x' factor

26) A test is conducted in eight cities to see if giving away free transit system maps will increase bus ridership. In a regression analysis, the dependent variable is the increase in bus ridership in thousands of persons from the start of the test until its conclusion. The independent variables are X1 = the number in thousands of free maps distributed and X2 = a binary equal to 1, if the city has free downtown parking and 0 otherwise. The estimated regression equation is Y = 1.32+.0345X1-1.45X2. If the Y value for city 3 is 7.3, X1 = 140, and X2 = 0 the residual for city 3 in thousands is:

A. 6.34
B. 1.15
C. .57
D. 2.01

27) The following linear trend equation was developed for the annual sales of the Tractor Manufacturing Company. Y' = 355 + 50t in thousands of dollars. How much are sales increasing by?

A. $50,000 per year
B. $5,00 per month
C. $500,000 per year
D. $6,000 per year

28) The time series component that reflects variability over short, repetitive time periods that last less than one year is called

A. long-term trend
B. cyclical variation
C. seasonal variation
D. irregular variation

29) A research company has been hired by a realty company to do an analysis of heating cost of homes in the region. The realty company wanted to be able to predict the heating cost of a typical single-family home. The realty company was constantly being asked questions regarding heating costs by potential home buyers. It was believed that these variables would impact heating costs (Y'): mean daily outdoor temperature (X1), the number of inches of insulation (X2), and the age in years of the furnace (X3). The multiple regression analysis produced the following regression equation: Y' = 427.2 – 4.58X1 – 14.83X2 + 6.10X3. Which statement is correct based on this analysis?

A. The age of the furnace has an indirect relationship with heating costs.
B. There is an inverse relationship between outdoor temperature and heating costs.
C. There is no real clear relationship between these variables.
D. There exists a direct relationship between inches of insulation and heating costs.

30) If we fit a linear trend to data that are growing exponentially,

A. the fitted trend will be too high at the end
B. the forecasts, if extrapolated, will be too low
C. the forecasts, if extrapolated, will be too high
D. the fitted trend will be too low in the middle
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Calculus and Above
2/7/2012
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 5 years ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Here are the solutions:

21. C

22. A

23. A

24. C

25. B

26. B

27. A

28. C

29. B

30. B

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer