Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

The a theft deterrent system is on, its draining the battery…

Customer Question
The a theft deterrent...

The a theft deterrent system is on, its draining the battery becasue the lights wont go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the battery light blinking or flashing, or is it solid? When did you first notice it?

Just walked out to the car, i had left the key in accessory mode about 2 hours ago

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the year and model of your Cadillac?

2008 cts

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

Just that when i get in the car it say start avorted by anti theft then says its in accessory mode

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Cadillac
10/27/2021
Cadillac Mechanic: Amedee, Cadillac Technician replied 1 year ago
Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, the theft deterrent system is preventing it from starting. I left the ignition in the in accessory position and ran inside then forgot. I went back out about 2 hours later and say the lights on, the battery is very low, but the theft deterrent is not even letting try and turn over the engine. The diver door will not open with out the key, and trunk will not release with either the key fob or the inside release button

Ok got it. If the battery is not the root cause and all fuses are good, this would suggest a faulty theft deterrent module causing this issue. It is number 13 in the image below. Click on the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ts97hmq8yqioxr/theft%20module.pdf?dl=0

However, you may want to try using a different key and checking for codes in the computer. Depending on the system you have, the key could be the issue, the pass lock sensor in the ignition switch or lock cylinder housing could be the issue, the theft deterrent module located by the ignition switch could be bad or malfunctioning or there could be an issue with the body control module preventing the engine from starting. You would need to use a compatible scan tool and check for codes in the body control module and theft deterrent module and ensure both modules are able to communicate. If either of these modules are not communicating, you need to confirm all powers and all grounds are good before replacing it. You can try a relearn procedure as well to see if this helps. I have provided it here for you below.

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.

3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn

OFF.

4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle

is now ready to relearn the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next

ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important: The vehicle learns the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the

next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the

ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the PASSlock Sensor Data Code and/or

password.

In some cases the modules lock up preventing the engine from cranking over. This does happen from time to time and can easily be remedied by doing a quick battery disconnect procedure. You're gonna have to be sure to disconnect both cables from the battery and rub the cables together for about 5 minutes. Then reconnect them back up to the battery and then try to start the vehicle. You may get lucky as this might just do the trick. This will discharge all the capacitors inside all of the modules on board the vehicle including both engine control module in the body control module and may allow it to start and run. This is also known as or referred to logic lock. However, this will ONLY work if the issue is a locked up module. If the module is bad or if the problem is not a locked up module it will not work. However, it would be worth a try.

It has been a pleasure working with you so far. Keep in mind this is a “starting point”. We can always continue as needed at a later date or at any time. Feel free to run some tests and reply back for further assistance as needed. My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have follow-up questions on this same topic, please use the reply box below. To start a new conversation with me on a new topic, you can request me here. Glad I can help. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks and have a great evening!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have an aftermarket replacement key fob, will that be a problem?

Was it working before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has never had a problem until I left the ignition turned on

Ok I don't think that is going to be the issue. You need to check for codes and communication with the body control module, drivers door module and the remote control door lock receiver using a compatible scan tool

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, that is all way beyond me I'll have to have it towed. Will I have any trouble?

Calling a professional tow service you should not have any issues. Also, don't forget to try the battery disconnect procedure I mentioned above and don't forget to get the battery load tested just to be sure it is not something simple before getting it towed to your local dealership or independant repair shop.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks I will

You're welcome!