Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Have a 2007 escalade esc. Had battery changed. Now getting

Customer Question

Have a 2007 escalade esc. Had battery changed. Now getting tire sensor system error (no readings) and parking assist error. Also intermittent stabletrak error
JA: Have you changed a battery before?
Customer: Picked up vehicle used. Everything was working. Battery was replaced as part of sale.
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far. Wondering if it is a bad ground or issue with battery cables. Will have some time wednesday
JA: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Those are the only issues that deal with electrical.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gabriel Grey replied 6 days ago.

Good evening, I hope you are doing great. My name is Gabriel, I am a GM master technician and I would be happy to assist you with this.

If the TPMS light came on after battery replacement then that means the sensors lost their programming so they will need to be reprogrammed to the vehicle.

Do you have a scan tool we can use to scan the trouble codes in the park assist and stabilitrak systems?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I do have s scan tool
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Give me a minute

Okay great

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Just tried it and I am being told that I need to upgrade to a better code reader. I used it a lot on my older suburban, caravan and 300. But seems this wont give me info

Ahh that is frustrating, technology can be frustrating

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Funny it threw a code yesterday and I was able to read it. Happened once. It was a camshaft advanced code

Some of the ABS/body codes cannot be read with a generic scanner since they have them in so many different modules

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I dont have a pricey one.

It will have to be capable of reading ABS and SRS codes

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I can see if I can borrow one. Not handy tonight unfortunately

Okay that would work, i will be online tomorrow as well :)

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I was gonna check the ground wire from battery and see if that had corrosion. Or was not tight. Raining now so will do in dry daylight.

Definitely a good place to start

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Figured it was working till battery swap. So that gives me a place to focus first.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
And ground issues can be maddening.

Yeah let's make sure to double-check all the electrical connections

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I will what I can

Okay great

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Talk in a day or so.

Alright, I'll be here. Have a great night

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
You too

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Checked cables, they all seem tight. Codes I got were C0900-00 and C0561-71.
Expert:  Gabriel Grey replied 5 days ago.

Interesting, code C0900 is a circuit high voltage code, an C0561 is letting us know that the EBCM is receiving incorrect info/data from another module. The only time I have seen a similar situation with this code was on a truck that lost the steering angle sensor memory when the battery was disconnected

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Vehicle was hump started off battery pack, then driven to get new battery by seller. Problem appeared after that
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Customer attachment 2/12/2020 12:32:04 AM

It may need to go in and have the EBCM and other modules checked for any needed software updates/recalibrations

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Is that a result of the jumpnor new battery? I test drove it for about 1/2 hr with no codes before that.

Most likely something got arced in the process of jumping the battery and driving, or it glitched out at the same time coincidentally. No saying for sure some times when the weirder electrical problems like this present themselves

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just did the alternator test and it says it is charging above acceptable limit. 14.81V. That doesnt seem to crazy with rpms at 2800

14.81v is alright, it is a little high, but should not be enough to set a trouble code

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Good.
GM dealer or good garage to check modules?

I would stick with the GM dealer for programming issues. They will have all the required tools and access

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Cost guess?

It will be an hour to get it diagnosed, and probably another hour to program what is needed. I would guess between $250-300

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Could replacing a module or two be something that might be needed.

That would be a possibility, depending on the actual determined failure. Of course, then that would increase the price guesstimate

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I figured it could get pricey.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks for your help. At least now I know I cant fix it simply by myself.

Yeah let me know what they tell you and I will make sure that it sounds accurate. I am sorry we could not figure it out, one of those things where it would be nice if teleportation were real, I could go help everyone, but then again if you could teleport then we would not need cars haha.

Anyways, feel free to reach out for any further assistance, have a great night

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks take it easy and have a good one.

Thank you