Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My ABS light is on and my brakes seems to be draging. Just…

Customer Question
My ABS light is...

My ABS light is on and my brakes seems to be draging

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

Just ABS

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2005 CTS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just today I had the brakes change because the car was sitting for almost a year and I thought dirt and rust might off had it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cadillac
6/1/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 months ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

have you scanned for abs codes?

no not as yet

do you have access to a scan tool?

no I will have a tec do it for me . what trigger the abs
thanks bye.
Cadillac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

There are several things that will cause the ABS light to come on and it will require some testing to determine the cause of the problem.

The ABS light comes on when the ABS module sees a failure in a monitored component and sets a fault code. The problem could be anything from the brake switch to the module itself, wiring, the hydraulic control unit and pump motor, wheel speed sensors, the steering angle sensor or yaw sensor. The most common cause of an ABS light would be a bad wheel speed sensor.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes have set in the ABS module and then testing can be done from there based on the findings.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.