Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 Escalade and acceleration is not presence.

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Escalade and acceleration is not presence. There is no engine light. Also there is a smell. The brakes seems to tighten also. There is a lot of heat also

Mechanic's Assistant: Has your vehicle stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?

It stalled twice in 3 months. I have not had that done

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?

No way

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is it

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Cadillac
5/30/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 21 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Okay to verify what's going on with the brakes you would need an infrared thermometer which you can get for less than $30 at Harbor Freight or any home repair store, you want to go for a short drive and then get out and measure the temperature of the brakes using them as little as possible, so down shift the transmission most of the way coming to stop and then stop with the brakes once you're like under 10 miles an hour and then if the rotors are like a hundred degrees or something like that they're definitely sticking you can also jack the vehicle up and try to spin the wheels.You need to disconnect the vacuum from the brake booster which is up near the brake fluid reservoir on the driver side. When the brake booster fails it can cause the booster to apply more assistance to the brake master cylinder than it's supposed to and that actually actuates the brakes. If you remove the vacuum line from the brake booster and it's no longer feeling sluggish then it means the boosters faulty needs to be replaced.Beware you should do this in an open parking lot because you will not have power brake assistance it will take a lot of pressure to apply the brakes but it will I get a coast around a parking lot and see if it seems better.Also you can inspect the rotors and look to see if they're blackened or look overheated if you need to upload a picture you can do that and I'll tell you.If the brakes are still locked up even after disconnecting the vacuum from the brake booster then your master cylinder is somehow applying brake pressure, either way you should probably just replace both when you're in there since they're connected and require removal.If I've answered your question please remember to hit accept because that's the only way I get compensated for my time. Please let me know if you need more assistance.
Customer reply replied 21 days ago
There is a big misunderstanding! This was not a brake question at all
Up top it says the brakes seem to be tightening...please explain
You said the brakes seem to be tightening there's a lot of heat there's no acceleration, and there's a smell.... Those are all classic symptoms of the brakes being locked up.Is there a check engine light on? You might not have been asking about the brakes but that doesn't mean that your symptoms don't point to them.