Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2005 STS and just recently changed the alternator…

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 STS and just recently changed the alternator and battery is only 3 months old. Had it recharged. The car will start right up but while driving, the doors will lock and unlock. The car will also die while driving but will start right back up.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

Yes New AC Delco battery

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes we are, we have only replaced the battery and Alternator today. Had codes read also today.

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Cadillac
5/28/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 22 days ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Are the dash lights cutting in and out while you're driving as well?
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
No just dim like it's not getting enough juice.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Also, it would turn the navigation off but now the navigation won't even come on like it blew a fuse in it.
I think you need to get a voltmeter and check charging system voltage both with the loads off and loads on. The vehicle should be out putting out low to mid 14 volts with nothing on, and mid 13 volts with as many electrical consumers as you can find on. I would not diagnose navigation concern at this point because when you get low voltage situations the module stopped communicating properly over the can bus which is the controller area network communications bus that modules use to pass sensor values and running conditions between each other.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
Ok, I will just have to take it to shop this upcoming week. Thanks
You can buy a voltmeter for like 10 to $15 on Amazon and then check this yourself to avoid $100 diagnosis fee, m more likely just a bad alternator or you have an issue with the connections at the battery.
Customer reply replied 22 days ago
I'm thinking it my connection at the battery. We just put a new alternator on this morning with a freshly charged battery. The battery is only 3 months old but needed to be recharged due to the bad alternator we took off.
Cadillac Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 19 days ago

I don't doubt it, again, that's why I keep trying to get you to spend the 10 dollars on a voltmeter so we can test it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDdgs5bqzZg

I made that video for my youtube channel which is strictly about German cars, except the majority of the video is applicable to this. IF you want to stop throwing parts at the car and actually fix it I'd suggest you purchase a 1 dollar meter and do the described tests. You're patching symptoms most likely, and not fixing the actual concern. You'll continue in this infinite loop if you don't make sure your wiring and things are ok. It's SO EASY to test the wiring, you can tell EXACTLY where the problem is and not guess. Alternators die because of being stuck in high output mode due to voltage drops over the negative and positive harnesses, as well as faulty batteries (which is caused by undercharging).

I want to take a minute to explain how this site works.

We work from our cell phones, shops, homes, etc to help people fix their cars. Recently the site added a membership feature for our customers to get more questions for less money. Unfortunately it has caused confusion with some customers who think that because they've become members or payed a deposit, they don't need to rate or accept our answer.

If you don't accept the answer, we don't even get an hourly wage, and because of the memberships, I have seen my accept percentage fall by almost half.

You're completely covered by both your credit card, and you can put in for a refund if I can't work out a successful solution to your problem. Please remember to hit accept, the site is getting paid but a lot of us experts are not getting our cut of correctly answered questions because of confusion about the site.

You can still come back later and ask follow up questions if necessary on this page even after you hit accept, but if you
leave to fix the vehicle and don't return in time, it will time out, the site keeps your money, and even though I was right, I get nothing.