Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I paid over $1,000, dead ecm, April 17 ,2017 drove car 10…

Customer Question
I paid over $1,000...

I paid over $1,000, dead ecm , April 17 ,2017 drove car 10 miles home parked it in garage . April 25 ,2018 I am going to get car inspected , again security system , another dead ecm . Picked car up today get it washed and inspected on the way home . Park in driveway 3 hours later go to take it for a drive and "STARTING DISABLED REMOVE KEY " .

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '17 Cadillac?

2004 CTS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have had it to the local CADILLAC Dealer , I am 70 years old have owned GM all of my life . THEY HAVE LOST ME WITH THIS PIECE OF JUNK .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Car just turned over 90,000 miles

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 2 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

It sounds like they are not addressing this problem correctly. There are several computers involved in the starting process, and the failure of any of them will give you the same symptom. If you've had it replaced twice already, chances are it's NOT the ECM that's failed.

Maybe it's time to get a second opinion?

Thank You , I think it's time to sale , and buy pre 1970 . GM killed themselves when they took the jump in your wallet Ford ideas . I have a 1970 small block Chevy with a HEI out of 500 ci Cadillac in it . Now parts from the very same car won't work . Goodbye GM your going down the tubes .

It was a necessary path, I suppose. Technology advances combined with EPA mandates for fuel economy and emissions pretty much made it mandatory to put computers in charge of everything.

It's amazing what modern engines can do. Stock Corvettes and Camaros are running at 700 horsepower on pump gas, running perfectly smooth at idle. It's unheard of, if you're from the old days.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more assistance, please ask, I am happy to follow up with you.