Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2012 SRX and the front and rear parking assist has…

I have a 2012...

I have a 2012 SRX and the front and rear parking assist has stopped working. What is the best way to trouble shoot the problem? Based on some youtube videos, I have tried to figure out which one may not be working, but have not had luck trying this.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

I put the car in reverse, then gone around and put my finger on the sensor locations to see if I can feel them working. Same test with the front with the car in drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

Front and back bumper sensors. The dash says to service the parking assist

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just what I have shared so far. If it is possible to fix on my own, I would like to know. the dealership quoted me $900 to do the repair

3/29/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

What was the dealer going to fix for $900? It seems odd that they gave you a specific number like that, but didn't diagnose it and tell you what was wrong with it first?

They just said they would need to take the bumpers off to check it and the cost was driven by labor time.

There are comprehensive scan tool diagnostics for this. The tech would start by retrieving the trouble code, and there is one if you have the Service Parking Assist message. The trouble code may be very specific and tell the tech precisely what the problem is.

I would get a second opinion from a different shop, this should be a standard diagnostic of $100 or so. $900 to diagnose it upfront is ridiculous. I would not attempt to figure this out without a good scan tool, simply because the scan tool will tell the tech exactly what's wrong. For example, the code will say something like "Parking Aid Front Sensor Left Middle Circuit Low Voltage/Open" and the tech can go directly to that sensor and do his testing. No need to remove both bumpers, that is ludicrous.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks for the info. Can most repair shops doe the diagnostic or is a GM dealer required to do it?

Does not have to be a dealer, but it needs to be a good independent repair shop. Midas, Sears, Jiffy Lube, etc are not the place to go for this level of service. I have a small independent repair shop, and I am equipped to do this, as are numerous other small shops, and we will all be cheaper than the dealer, and at least according to your experience, more honest about it.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician