Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just bought this car 2008 Cadillac sts v8 rwd. It has

almost 103k miles on it...
I just bought this car 2008 Cadillac sts v8 rwd. It has almost 103k miles on it. I just took it to get oil change with 8 qts synthetic oil. The guy added a fuel juels timed released and i hope that is good for this car. The oil guy said there were no oil leaks. Also i went to Auto Zone got a print out and it said it needs a catalytic converter and something to do with exhaust. The engine light is on.
The power steering is alittle stiff and the service steering system light is on.
The tire monitoring light is on and off.
The actuator makes noise for 30 seconds when the ac comes on or so.etimes when temp is adjusted.
There is a noise when i accelerate too quickly or also release sometimes and seems to be more often in last couple days. A friend says that is a univeraal joint or could be motor mount but thought mostly universal joint.
Since i cannot fix it all at once due to cost, can you tell me in what order and priority would you recommend fixing each of the above?? And tell me if which is absolutely needed and if one affects the other...
Thank you much!!!
3/28/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, give me 15 minutes or so to review all this and give you some prices and priority

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Ok thanks
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Oil man says no oil leaks and the sound is a little loud heard when sitting inside car like muffler type problem and a little bit of vibration and seems slugglish but not sure if i just need to press pedal more.

HI,

Ok, I am going to list them in order of priority from first to last with prices

Catalytic converter and O2 sensor(other part of exhaust they referred to)

Catalytic converter $560

O2 sensor $140

Labor 2 hours - $200

Total $900

Steering

Steering control module $295

Labor 1 hour - $100

Total $395

Ujoints

Ujoints(2) $75ea

Labor 1.5 hours - $150

Total $300

Climate control

There are 2 temperature actuators. If you hear the noise on the driver side

Temperature actuator -$150

Labor 0.5 hr - $50

Total $200

If you hear the noise on the passenger side

Temperature actuator $150

Labor 1.1 hr - $110

Total $260

The most important is the catalytic converter and O2 sensor. If the converter fails completely it will reduce speed to about 20mph and can damage the engine and in worst case scenario, catch fire. This will cause the sluggishness due to restricted exhaust.

Next is the steering control module. It is basically a computer for the steering. Complete failure can cause loss of power steering and leave you with a vehicle that is very hard to turn

Next is the ujoints. Over time, they can cause rear differential issues or damage the driveshaft

Finally is the temperature actuator. Worse case, it quits moving is stuck in either ac or heat mode.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can this info you just typed be sent to my email so that i can print it out?

HI,

They block email addresses from the experts. I have uploaded it as a pdf file to be able to download and print from it

If you are not able to let me know and I will contact customer service and they can send it to your email address.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager