Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Need front right front install diagram for 2010 cadillac…

Need front right front...

Need front right front install diagram for 2010 cadillac srx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just tell me how to get it installed, I think I am missing a part because the strut pushed out the center piece of the mount

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/28/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

Right front.... what? What are you installing?

Right front Strut

See attached parts explosion. Does that show you what you're looking for?

Think I am missing part #2 would this prevent the strut from pushing the center of the mount up

It actually sounds like #3 is broken, do you have #2 there at all?

2 is missing

It should have been there when you took it apart, is it laying on the bench or the floor or something?

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else.

I had the strut was replaced a day ago, I noticed yesterday that the strut mount was broken, I dnt think the guy installed #2
I would have order #3 and #2

Ah, I see. I thought you were doing the work.

Yes, I would replace 2 and 3.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
I will be doing the new install
Do the strut mount sit all the way done to the indent on the strut when the spring is compress

Yes, tighten the nut as far as it will go, until the strut mount bottoms out on the step of the strut piston, just below the threaded portion.

Once the strut is in position, should the #2 part be set under the circle in the frame as a retainer?
No. The washer #2 goes directly on top of the strut mount, followed by the nut. Just like the picture shows.
What prevents the strut piston from breaking the strut mount and pushing straight up

The strut mount is supposed to hold this together, it's bonded rubber and steel. The strut should not push up with that much force, the strut piston doesn't support the weight of the car; the spring does.

Do you think the spring is shot and needs replacing

The spring should seat on the strut mount, and when not installed, the spring should be trying to push the strut mount off the top of the strut. That's the kinetic force. Then, when you bolt this assembly into the car, the spring compresses, and the strut piston is really just along for the ride, it dampens but does not push or pull significantly in either direction (it does push upwards, but not with enough force to break the strut mount; you can push the piston back in by hand).

If the strut is pushing upwards with that much force, I have to consider whether the strut is defective. Can you push the piston in?

It is a new strut just installed

Can you upload a picture of what you're seeing there?

When the car is jacked up, it sit in place

That's a broken strut mount. You need to replace #3 in the drawing from yesterday. That doesn't look new, I thought you were putting a new one in yesterday?

Thats a new strut and strut mount install a few days ago that broke i will be installing a new one today

Definitely, it should not do that. Half of the strut mount is on the bottom side with the spring, and the other half is up in the air.

I'm glad you posted that picture, I see now exactly what you're talking about. I didn't realize it punched through all the way like that.

I am waiting for the new strut mount to be delivered, any other suggestions on how to prevent this from happing
Happening

There isn't anything I can think of to prevent strut mount failure. It should never have gotten that bad, it had to make noise prior to coming completely undone like that. Otherwise, it's a normal wear and tear item.

Brake pedal is soft, new master cylinder installed, how to properly bleed lines