Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am looking at a 2017 GM certified Escalade that is not Ca…

Customer Question
I am looking at...

I am looking at a 2017 GM certified Escalade that is not Ca emissions legal. How big of a deal is it to get legal and how much will it cost?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Cadillac Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

It is a Mississippi vehicle and I need it to be California legal.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't bought it yet. Just wondering if it worthwhile do get switched to ca legal.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
3/27/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 3 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** it is federal emmissions only, then it would be very expensive to switch it to california emmissions, you would need to swap the computer, and the entire wiring harness for it to work, and other misc componemts, it could cost up to 10k, it would be very laor intensive, and the parts would be very expensive, the emmision parts for federal are completely different from CA emmissions,Tim

They said it is 50 state legal but not California. Not sure what geography class they took so not sure what 50 states they are talking about.
can't call, I'm in a hospital visiting.

if it is 50 state legal, then it complies with the CA CARB laws and will pass in CA,Tim

They ran the vin and said not Ca. but 50 state legal. Fuzzy math!

if it is 50 state legal, it is good in any state, including CA, Tim

thanks

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim