Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My daytime running lights won't turn to regular lights.

My daytime running lights...

My daytime running lights won't turn to regular lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Lights stay on in my regular headlights will not come on my daytime running lights stay on and stay them

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2013 Cadillac SRX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am trying to figure it out myself I went into the owner's manual and I seen a fuse but and I change the fuse but that didn't help

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I just need my daytime running lights to turn off and my regular headlights to come on at night and they're not working

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/27/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

How long has this been going on?

4 days
I thought the daytime running lights were supposed to change the regular lights at Twilight and it is not happening

That is supposed to happen.

Is there a message on the dash when it's dark, suggesting that you turn the headlights on, or no message at all?

No I am not getting a message but my daytime running lights stay on and my lights don't get brighter for night time driving

If you turn the lights on manually, do they work?

No

OK. Have you checked/replaced the headlight bulbs?

No I have not I thought if the daytime running light was working then the headlights should come on at Twilight but it's not happening what do you suggest
I thought the daytime running light bulb in the headlight bulb or the same bulb

The low beam headlamp bulb is different than the DRL bulb. Which bulb it is depends on your lighting options on the vehicle, which I can look up for you if you give me your VIN, but for most SRX's, the low beam bulb only comes on when the headlights come on. DRL is part of the park lamp.

You may simply have bulbs that are burned out, or we also have problems with the electrical connectors at the bulbs overheating and melting, but I would remove one of the bulbs, and look to replace it just to test to see if it's a burned out bulb.

The v i n number 3 g y f n g e 3 3 DS 60396 2

OK, thank you. Yes, what I said earlier is a fact: the DRL bulb is part of the park lamp bulb, NOT the headlamp bulb. The headlamp bulb operates separately. I suspect that you have two failed lo beam bulbs. Do the high beams work?

but when I look at the front of the car I only see three bulbs one in the center with it's just a projection bulb then you have the turn signal bulb and the high beam only see three bucks

OK, I think you're right. So many light options on this car, I'm trying to make sure I get it right. So do the bulbs come on when you hit the high beams or no?

No they do not they stay on daytime running lights but the high beams do come on

All lamps are controlled by the body control module, based on inputs. You may have a faulty BCM, or a faulty input to the BCM. The bot***** *****ne is that you can't diagnose this without the ability to see the BCM data the way the BCM sees it. Is the ambient light sensor no good? Is the switch input faulty? Is there a trouble code pointing to the cause? All of this and more is available to the technician with a good scan tool.

If the bulbs are good, I would have a scan tool on this next, to see what the BCM is telling me about the headlamp circuit. If it needs a BCM, it will need to be installed and programmed by the dealer, so for this reason as well as the diagnostic limitations, my recommendation is to have the dealer work this out for you. It's more complicated than just a switch or a fuse, it's all computer controlled and needs an adequate scan tool to diagnose the system.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician