Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Am told I have a faulty sending ubit onb fuel pump 1003

Customer Question
Am told I have...

Am told I have a faulty sending ubit onb fuel pump 1003 Cadillac deville w/4.9 indicator on dash dark till abt 30 miles then decided to work sometimes indicator readout is flashing, Heater indicataor fjashes also then both eventually stop but still lit

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

Background lights unaffected bulbs all work after warmup time

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your DeVille?

1993

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

Would like to repair self could it possiblely be sending unbit on fuel pump causing problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cadillac
3/26/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Pete, Cadillac Technician replied 1 month ago
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

If the issue is a fault with the fuel gauge itself reading inaccurately intermittently or all of the time the most common cause is the fuel sender assembly in the tank.I have run into this issue several times before and I have had to replace the sender assembly to resolve this fault here.I recommend to check the wiring connection that plugs into the fuel sender to see if there are any connection issues as sometimes the connector will burn or melt and the connector and sender need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asppre iate ur reply, do u recommend replacing fuel pump at sme time, dropping and daaining the tank is mess

If you have never had the fuel pump replaced I would recommend to replace both the sender and the pump assembly and check the connector that plugs into the sender to see if any issues are seen with it.If a fault is found with the connector the connection will also need to be replaced.

When the sender assembly is removed inspect inside the fuel tank for any issues with the tank needing to be cleaned out as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Cadillac Technician