Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2006 sts, 3.6 that has the third rear end since I've owned…

2006 sts, 3.6 that has...
2006 sts, 3.6 that has the third rear end since I've owned the car. the now rear end has been for about 24 months. I had a problem with this one also. Dealer couldn't tell me the problem; noise that sounded like metal as you backed up. I finally went to google with you guys. Said that the fluid needed to be changed to something else 9noise went on for about three months). finally the dealer changed the fluid or who knows what and the noise quit. Could this of caused ware that is now rolling noise. Both rear hub bearings have been, doesn't seem to be those. My clients who are in the back seat as we look at homes can also hear the noise. Again,, a rolling noise. may I mention that this car has been at the dealer over forty times in 38 months. Thank the Lord I bought a expensive warranty but its getting really old. Nope, not selling the car. I bought this cat with 69,000 miles and ir's been the worst STS I've ever owned. So, what do you think, Bob lyons
3/25/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

Hi Bob.

We certainly had our problems with rear differentials in these cars. If you have replaced the hub bearings and you are still getting this noise, I would suspect the rear differential again.

The way I like to identify these noises is to put the car on the rack, start the engine and put it in gear, then stand under it with a stethoscope to pinpoint the noise source. This is what your dealer needs to be doing to pin down your noise, and yes, they'll probably find that the differential bearings are scored and it needs to be overhauled or replaced again.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician