Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1949 Cadillac won’t turn over to start after driven 50

Customer Question
1949 Cadillac won’t turn...

1949 Cadillac won’t turn over to start after driven 50 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Yes no corrosion thx

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

1949 fleetwood

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Fleetwood?

1949

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Fleetwood yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It is like it is seized from being too hot .it willstaart after one half hour rest.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cadillac
3/25/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 1 month ago
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Hi there - well, it is doubtful it is actually seizing up, but the heat from the engine is probably causing some increased resistance in the starter circuit. When the windings in the starter get warm, the resistance goes up, amperage goes down, and it won't crank.

We would see this frequently in engines that were modified with headers - the increased heat would cause no crank conditions.

Cadillac Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 27 days ago

Hello. Do you still require assistance?

Cadillac Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 25 days ago

Hi there - if you could close the question,and rate my answer, that would be appreciated. Thanks! Canuck

Cadillac Mechanic: Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician replied 13 days ago

Hello. Have you given any thought to my suggestions? Please send me a note if yo would like to continue the discussion. Canuck

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician