Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I can't get to the tensioner. I'm trying to replace my

I can't get to...

I can't get to the tensioner

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

I'm trying to replace my alternator

3/23/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

What year and model is your Cadillac?

Which engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2011 3.0 v6

SRX or CTS?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I meant to say good afternoon. My alternator failed and I'm trying to replace but tut position of the tensioner is blocked and no matter which way I try I can't get to it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Srx

So at this point you are trying to access the tensioner to remove the belt so you can then replace the alternator right?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
exactly

If I remember correctly, you should be able to get to it through the passenger side wheel well. Have you already removed the passenger tire and fender well liner to try to get to it?

You have to pull the engine mount bracket first too.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No I haven't tried removing the wheel or engine mount bracket. I'm fairly amateur to working on my car. Is there any other way?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can get under the car and see it, put the serpentine wrench in it but don't have enough room to pull it, or strength laying flat on my back.

I don't think you'll be able to get to it without pulling the engine mount and bracket. It's pretty tight in there.

You might be able to just pull the belt off the alternator pulley and then pull it back on without removing the mount, but it's going to be tricky if the belt falls off one of the pulleys.

I think your best bet is to at least remove the wire and pull the fender well. You rotate the tensioner clockwise to release tension.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I'll try it thanks

Let me know how it goes and if you need any diagrams or anything to help.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I may need that. Thanks!

Here is a better look at the belt.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I apologize for the delayed reply..I had to have someone come out to handle but the info you gave me helped prep him for the job. Ty!
Jared D
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician