Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Wondering if its difficult to replace a driver side power…

Wondering if its difficult...

Wondering if its difficult to replace a driver side power window regulator on a 2 door 1987 Cadillac coupe deville.?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses?

Not yet but window only comes don 4 inches then makes a clicking noise and will roll back up but also makes same clicking noise at top?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

I was told its the regulator so I ordered one will be here in a couple of days gonna try to do it my self cant afford the labor charge but need to fix this to finish a state inspection.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that's about it.

3/23/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

It's not a lot of fun, but it's not impossible. You have to be careful because the regulator is spring loaded, it can hurt you when you take the motor off the old one to swap it onto the new one. Unless you're getting a regulator with motor attached, that saves you a headache if you did.

Regulator is riveted into the door, you have to drill out the rivets and have a rivet gun and rivets to put it back together. If this sounds like something you want to mess with, I can try to find you a procedure from the manual. Not sure that I can, but I can tell you from memory that you're going to need a drill, a rivet gun, and some gloves, because all of those metal edges inside the door are sharp.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
GOOD ADVICE thanks