Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A few days after I bought it, used, a few months ago, the…

A few days after...

A few days after I bought it, used, a few months ago, the check engine light came on. code was for crankshaft position sensor. mechanic replaced Crankshaft position sensor, either because I asked him to, or because of the code. it continued to demonstrate same symptoms and light stayed on. Maybe it did not need the sensor replaced at all?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Oh! 2007 cadillac sts v6 engine. Light stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do not fix it. Mechanic replaced sensor. After, the mechanic gave me a "printout" which he found on the internet, suggesting I get a factory computer software "upgrade". I did this today. Still giving crankshaft position sensor code. Also, oil pressure sending unit code. And theft deterrent code of some sort.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes. It stalls out. I start it and it goes good for a while. A few times, very infrequently, it refuses to rev beyond 3,800 R.P.M.s. Almost as if the engine "believes" it is low on oil pressure, and takes measures to protect itself. More often, the symptom is misfiring, stalling out. Is there any way to diagnose Crankshaft position sensor, other than just blindly trusting what the codes are saying? Or diagnose anything for that matter, if the computer may be giving false codes?

3/21/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you ,I will Try to Help you with This Issue
In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sunday through Friday from around 5 am to 9 pm Eastern time.Zone If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.
If you see a call request on your screen ,That is an automated feature the web site offers all customers.

What is the fault # being retrieved P0340 ?

Are you looking for the most possible causes or you are repairing it yourself .

Please Let Me Know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

P0336 which is crankshaft position sensor, P0523 which is engine oil pressure sensor, P1629 which is theft deterrent start disabled signal not received. I will not repair it myself. I want to inform the mechanic. For that matter, do you suggest the Cadillac repair is so sensitive and / or specialized that work be performed only by a Cadillac dealer? Is there a way to "visually inspect" or otherwise test, a crankshaft position sensor, before blindly following the codes and maybe replacing a part which is not defective? Thank you.
If we do a phone call, I would have you talk to my mechanic and not me. This would be later in the day, if at all, today.

yes , call not necessary now ,we can do later if needed

This troubleshoot steps needs to be performed , and also was the ckp relearn done aftr replacement

Please Let Me Know if you can view pdf files and we go from there

Thank You

Chad Farhat

ckp wiring ,click on link to view

you need a capable scanner to test that ckp sensor ,

ckp sensor , creates a voltage signal when engine turning , thee is no power to it to check when sitting still

using a capable scanner pr voltmeter on a/c signal with a experience tech can figure out the ckp signal if dropping intermittently,and causing the dtc fault , check ckp wiring from ckp to computer ,i would ohm out the wires make sure no break in the line, do a wiggle test

With all that said the ckp sensor is a common issue and we also a have a software update on the issue that might need if the ckp sensor is not the issue.

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

I do have the PDFs. I will have my mechanic look at them. I am pretty sure the mechanic did not do the "Relearn". I know he mentioned something about a relearn, and I'm pretty sure he decided a relearn was neither necessary, nor possible, no relearn was available for my car? Something like that.... Are we done now? Or do we continue with this discussion between you and my mechanic?

if he did not do relearn , Then for sure do relearn , they always miss that :)

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Read below how to get back in touch with me anytime u want

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Chad Farhat

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

O.K. This car has been the biggest pain in the ass! Thank you. I'm sure I, or my mechanic, will contact you more about this.

okay sounds good

let me know

Chad, I am finished with my question. Based on your information, my mechanic was able to fix the problem. For your information, the Crankshaft position sensor was routed near the alternator and was being affected by that.

Awsome news ,I m glad

Thank you for the Rating :)