Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had a minor rear end accident a couple days ago. Slight…

Customer Question
I had a minor...

I had a minor rear end accident a couple days ago. Slight damage I drove the car to a spot shut it off then tried to start it again it started but bogged down. Had it towed home and opened hood noticed the hose that goes to the air filter was off so I really attached it. Tried to start it and it cranks but acts like it's out of gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Gas seems to be fine. Before the accident it was running great. I rear ended someone

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2005 cts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just noticed the hose was off so reattached it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is there a sensor or safety thing that occurs when involved in an accident? Does it need reset?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
3/20/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 3 months ago
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is no inertia switch in this vehicle that shuts off fuel in case of an accident, most lightly the accident jarred the fuel tank and the fuel pump came off its hanger inside, was the accident in the rear?

No in the front.

it can still jar the fuel tank, we have seen this alot on this vehicle, you will need to check the fuel pressure when cranking, if there is no pressure, then the tank wll need to be removed and inspected, but it is most likely that the fuel pump came off the hanger,Tim

Noticed the air filter hose was off reattached it. Tried to start it and it cranks but acts like it's out of gas. Where is the fuel pump located
I meant to say where is the hanger

It is in the fuel tank,Tim

Cadillac Mechanic: Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH replied 2 months ago

Please dont forget to rate me, so I can get credit for helping, thanks,Tim

Checked the hangar and it's fine. Could it be the ecm?

Not likely, did you check for power to the fuel pump, when cranking?

it is coming on
Smelled like something was burning when trying to start it the 1st time

so you have fuel pressure?

pressure is good

do you have a security light illuminated on the dash, when you try to start it?

No only comes on when turning key on like normal

and does it go out, when you crank it?

everything does except check engine light which had been on for a while car ran fine. Code for the light was the cats

ok, then this makes sense, if it had a code for the cats before, and then the accident jarred it , you most likely have plugged cat converters, and this makes sense you need to have the exhaust back pressure checked, if it is any more than 1 psi, then replace the cats,Tim