Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am having my 80 Deville engine pulled out for engine

I am having my...

I am having my 80 Deville engine pulled out for engine reseal it leaks from everywhere. What are chances I might have to rebuild bs reseal? What do you recommend 6.0 368

Mechanic's Assistant: How old are the hoses? And what driving conditions do you most often encounter?

As old as the car hose replacement is included in the cost to pull out and reseal also the water pump can ran decent no smoking while driving just to much leaking and dirty everywhere

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

No I’m having a mechanic that restores classics locally work on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Then engine reseal will cost me 2800 including labor and hoping they find nothing bad once they start taking engine apart. The rebuild is 3000 to 4500 for complete rebuild

3/20/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

If it runs well, doesn't burn oil, etc. I wouldn't go to the trouble of overhauling it. It's an unnecessary expense, I don't like fixing things that aren't broken. Resealing it is definitely worthwhile, but there's no need to take the inner workings apart and start replacing things that aren't giving you trouble. I would estimate the rebuild probably 50% higher than what they quoted, it gets expensive fast once you start taking things apart. Oh, we need a valve job. Oh, the crank needs to be replaced. Uh oh, those pistons have too much clearance, time to machine the block and buy oversized pistons. Seriously, if it's running well the way it is, don't worry about it. Just reseal it and enjoy your classic iron.

:-)

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

The rear main seal leaks also the valve covers and the oil pan also and the car I drive to shows has awsome paint and great interior I have had it 19 years but the engine I have never touched I took it in for the leaks and was told they can’t replace them with out removing the engine . Your thoughts ?
It sat for 12 years and had carb issues I could not get it running once I did it would shut off so I took it to them and it was just carburetor adjustments I got it back running now it’s there for the leaks
I replaced the fuel pump checked the lines and I put a new gas tank in it and sending unit with fresh fuel.

I agree with them, I would remove the engine to reseal it, too. It can technically be done with the engine in the car, but it can be done so much more nicely and completely with the engine on a stand instead. I think that's the best bet, imagine the difference trying to get a rear main seal just right while standing under the car, looking up and having oil drip in your face vs. standing at a bench and working on the engine while it's on a stand that you can rotate. Huge difference.

Sounds like you have a good shop working on it, so many repair shops wouldn't touch a job like this, but I like working on these old cars. Sounds like you have a great one.

-Jerry

Thanks I appreciate your response . I am hoping it’s just a reseal paint the engine and throw it back in . I guess I was just looking to have a professional like yourself give me the confidence that I was doing the right thing with my engine. They start tomorrow wish me luck .

It sounds like a great project, I think you'll be happy with the results.

:-)

Good luck with it!

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician