Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2009 Escalade Hybrid. I want to know how to

determine what OnStar module it...
I have a 2009 Escalade Hybrid. I want to know how to determine what OnStar module it has (Gen 8.0 or Gen 10.0) and of it is an Gen 8.0, how do I upgrade?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/20/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

What is your VIN?

You do have 8.0 in this car, at least, that's what the vehicle was built with. I have been looking for information from GM about an upgrade, but not finding anything (at least not in bulletin format or anything like that). In the past, they have given us information bulletins about these sorts of upgrades, but perhaps they've stopped doing that and I simply didn't notice.

The very best way to achieve this, in my mind, is to hit the blue Onstar button and talk to an advisor. They have the ability to look at the hardware that's actually in your vehicle, and can make you an offer to upgrade (if there is one) for a promotional price.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I spoke with OnStar before reaching out here. They said I needed a GEN 10.0 module and to reach out to the dealer.From what I read on various forums, I can purchase an updated module (eBay or similar) and swap out. Of corse, I question if there are finishing steps (programming) that need to be done to make it functional.Can you tell me the steps to do this?

The hardware swap is easy enough, then following that, you update the vehicle software to make it compatible with the new hardware (this is a dealer function). After that, you go outside with the vehicle and you push the blue button, tell them you've upgraded to Gen 10, and they'll get it set up for you. You need a clear view of the southern sky, that's why I say to go outside for this step. They will locate the vehicle on satellite, then load more software into it and set up your account for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nice!!OK, so can you tell me what module I should be looking to buy (part number if possible) and further, will this upgrade give me Bluetooth music streaming, or is that a head unit function?

Bluetooth music streaming is a head unit function, and I don't know of a way to get an integrated solution on your Escalade. There are various aftermarket solutions to this, as I'm sure you already know.

I don't have a part number for a Gen 10 module. This is a question for your GM parts counterman, even though he may not give you a direct answer, he can give you the part number for the upgrade kit, and with a little legwork, you can find out what components are in the kit and find part numbers for them. I don't have access to a good enough parts resource to find this kit, I can find the parts for your car, but the Onstar and other upgrade stuff comes from a different source than regular parts channels.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Copy on the Bluetooth streamingI am under the impression that I can purchase a 2011 module from eBay, but you are suggesting there may be an upgrade kit. Can you clarify

Onstar makes kits available through dealers, as they recognize that cars and trucks are outliving the cellular technology. So they put packages together and make attractive pricing deals to upgrade the equipment so you'll buy their subscription. Last I knew, they would offer this to you via the blue button, but I know my GM parts man also has a line on this info.

I just don't have a line on it, it's something you'd have to call your Cadillac dealer parts counter about, they have all of this information.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Need follow-up information on this topic

What do you need?

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician