Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a '99 cadillac deville 4.6 v8 and it has just started…

I have a '99...

I have a '99 cadillac deville 4.6 v8 and it has just started to surge and choke during acceleration. Had it diagnosed as leaking head gaskets and clogged catalytic converter. A new engine was recommended. Question: can I extend the remaining life in this motor with those pellets in the radiator, or is it too late for that?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?

4.6 liter v8 117,000miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced radiator, water pump, thermostat and cap. Using Dexcool 50/50 and is leaking maybe a few cups of coolant every 2-300 miles. Mechanic friend helped me replace everything above, but actually I trust the diagnosis because I have dealt with them before.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

When starting cold, there seems to be an unusual amount of white steam/smoke out of the tailpipes, which dissipates as soon as engine warms a little.

3/19/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

Head gasket failures are common, so I suspect your mechanic is right, too.

The pellets can't hurt the engine at this point, but be aware that they tend to clog up the radiator and heater core as well, so I wouldn't go overboard with them. The head gasket won't get any better, they tend to get worse and worse until the vehicle is undriveable. Generally speaking, if your mechanic says the head gaskets are leaking, I'd plan this repair sooner than later. You never know when it's going to fail entirely.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay so I cannot afford the thousands of $$ it will cost to replace the head gaskets, so in your opinion, if this was your car, what kind of pellets or sealant (name, brand, type, size, etc.) would you put in the system to try to extend the life of this engine?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just trying to get by until I can afford to buy another car, probably.

I like the GM pellets, they work probably as good as any quick fix.

If you want to try something a little more extreme, talk to your mechanic about Blue Devil head gasket sealant. It's more of a process than just dumping it into the radiator, but I've had at least 50/50 success with this product. It actually works pretty well, and it's more pricey than any other stop leak product. I have done it in my shop in cases like yours probably a dozen times over the past 7 or 8 years, and I have had surprising results with it.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks for your advice. I am going after the Blue Devil head gasket sealant.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician