Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I recently bought a 2017 xt5. It is the premium luxury trim…

I recently bought a...

I recently bought a 2017 xt5. It is the premium luxury trim and I thought it had adaptive cruise, but it doesn't. Can it be added now and about how expensive would it be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your XT5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not sure and nothing.

3/19/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

I am hesitant to use the word "no" most of the time. The short answer to your question is "no."

It's technically possible. You could hire someone to buy the pieces for the system that need to be attached to the vehicle, and then do some very exhaustive programming to get all of the computers in the car on board with this new system. It is possible, but your dealer is not going to want to do it. If you did convince them, I'm sure they'd want several thousand dollars before it was all finished and set up.

The hardware is the easy part, the computer programming is the time consuming and hard to overcome part. There isn't a dealer-installed option on this, so again, the short answer is no, but for everyone that really wants something, there's someone that will do it. The only question at that point is price, and it would be prohibitive.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What type of programming to what, are you talking about? I thought maybe the sensors, cameras and associated modules would be plug and play.

No, they won't be plug and play. The engine, transmission, body, and various other computers in the car are not expecting this new hardware (and another computer, the adaptive cruise has its own new computer) to just "show up" on the network. They won't work unless they are programmed to do so, and the only programming that your dealer can routinely do it VIN based, meaning if your car wasn't born with it, it won't come up as available by VIN. So, what this means is multiple calls to GM engineering and getting them to write special exceptions on a one time basis so the car can be programmed with this new software, something they may be reluctant to do for liability reasons (I've been down this road before, in other ways). IF you could get everyone to play their part, and that's a big IF, it would still be several thousand dollars by the time you were done getting all of the pieces of this puzzle put together and working like it came out of the factory that way.

It's about as far away from being plug and play as you can get.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

An "outside the box" alternative would be to get all of the hardware and wiring necessary for this system, install it, and then find someone that would totally reprogram every module in your car with a new VIN, using an existing VIN from a car that does have all of these features. You have to find someone to play ball on this, your dealer definitely won't but a high end independent shop with programming capability might. I've been known to do things like this to make features like that work.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician