Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2011 Cadillac CTS 1.6 L with a presumed exhaust rattle in…

2011 Cadillac CTS 1.6...

2011 Cadillac CTS 1.6 L with a presumed exhaust rattle in the right front area. What is this noise?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

From the inside of the car it sounds like it’s coming from under the hood in the right front. Sounds like marbles rattle around inside the exhaust pipe. It’s been going on for several months but seems to be worsening. But it is intermittent but can’t be triggered by a road bump

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

If this turns out to be an exhaust issue I will fix it myself. I’ve jacked up a few times to try and replicate it but can’t seem to isolate it underneath. The exhaust from the outside appears stable with appropriate clearances

3/18/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

That's the kind of noise that a catalytic converter makes when the ceramic comes loose inside, it bangs around in there and makes a lot of noise, and exactly when and how it makes this noise depends on engine speed, temp, etc. It's not always easy to replicate, but I think I know just the noise you're talking about.

If that's the case, you'll be replacing the right side converter. When you take it off, just shake it, you'll hear the thing rattling around if it's broken loose inside. Left unchecked, the catalyst will eventually break apart and plug the exhaust, so despite being an expensive repair, I wouldn't put it off for too long.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician