Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I want to know which fuse controls the vehicle speed sensor…

I want to know...

I want to know which fuse controls the vehicle speed sensor on my 1998 caddy eldorado etc

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the sensor have a wire-wrapped magnet? If so, have you checked it with an ohmmeter?

No. Cruise control not working. Speedometer not working. Trip odometer not working. But the car is driving well. Figured it was either the vss or a fuse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Haven't tried anything yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks for the help.

3/17/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

The transmission shifts OK? Goes through all four forward gears?

OK, if the transmission is shifting normally, it's not a VSS problem. If you had no VSS operation, you wouldn't shift out of first gear.

No check engine light on the dash?

No.

The VSS is an input to the powertrain control module. It receives this signal, then it sends out the speed signal to every other module on the car that needs this info. I have to assume that PCM is happy with the VSS signal it's receiving because it's not turning on a check engine light and the transmission is shifting perfectly. So, we have to look at this output to the other modules.

Let me research this a bit.

How would I know if the transmission was being affected by a faulty vss?

It would stay in first gear, and the engine would rev up to 5000rpm and not shift. You'd just know it wasn't right.

Copy that. None of that is happening.

There is a dark green/white wire that carries the speed signal to the cluster, the cruise control and the suspension module. This will be hard to test the output, lacking a lab scope or something like that, but you can test continuity on the wire, and assuming the wire is good from point A to all other points, and that it's not grounded, it can then be assumed that the PCM is faulty.

Is this something you have the capability to test?

How do I locate the wire?
I don't have the testing capability. What can I do?

If you don't have the ability to troubleshoot this circuit, you'll have to hire a mechanic to do it for you. If this were in my shop, I would put a lab scope on that circuit right at the PCM, and drive it to see if I'm getting a signal. If not, check that circuit to make sure it's not grounded, and put a new PCM in it.

If the circuit IS grounded, you'll have to find out why. Pinched wire, shorted component, something like that. But this sort of diagnosis isn't for the faint of heart, there's a lot of wire here, lots of places it can go bad. You will probably feel a lot better about this if you pay someone a few hundred dollars to sort it out, it's the kind of thing that might end up with you taking half the car apart and not really finding the problem. Time to call in a pro, I think.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

One last question : you're sure it's not the vss?

I am as sure as I can be that it's not the VSS. Check engine light would be on, ABS light would be on, transmission would not shift. ABS receives the VSS data just like everything else, but interestingly, it does so on a different circuit, so the PCM and VSS are doing something right. The problem is elsewhere in the car.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
You've been awesome! Top notch. Thanks.