Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2010 CTS, AWD, 3.6. When accelerating I have a

Customer Question
I have a 2010...

I have a 2010 CTS, AWD, 3.6. When accelerating I have a vibration that gets progressively worse as speed increases, especially up to 65. If I let off the gas, the vibration goes away completely. comes back when I push on the gas pedel. The vibration maintains even when on cruise, when the car is just maintaining speed on level ground. I replaced the driver side front axle a while back, but not the passenger side. The drivers side still feels thight, but the passenger side clicks when i move it or rotate the tire. Feels dry inside. I have crawlled under the car and looked at the drive shaft, prued on everything, and I can't find anything lose front to back. What do you think it might be?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Started about a month ago, and has progressively gotten worse. It sounds like under the drivers seat. Not only a vibration, but a clunk from time to time. I am not sure the clunk is related, but that is definetly under the drivers seat or just behind it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have done some of the work myself. Brakes, Oil changes, and the broken CV joint. Replaced that, and installed a broken enhine mount bracket, and moter mount on the drivers side. Broken engine mount bracket is what took out the CV and axle.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Cadillac
3/16/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Does turning see to change the feel of the vibration?

Also lets talk a moment about your tires, are they all the same with the same amount of wear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They are all the same and no wear. I figured if the tires were the problem the vibration would not go away when the car was coasting

YEs and no, the vibration may be related to torque in the system. Under acceleration there is torque is being transferred.
The item I feel is the issue is a drive shaft issue. That would be more consistent with your issue and location. I would not rule out the front axle shaft, but there rear drive shaft does have u-joints on it and they would cause the type of issue you have.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
definately in the drive shaft system, torque related. My hope was this is a common problem at around 100,000 miles, and you would be able to say , from your description, I know just what this is. Ha Ha, no such luck. This thing is on jack stands, with very little room underneath. it is a lot of stuff to pull off just to trace it down. If you are not sure, and I can't figure it out, it is off to the mechanic with more expertice than I have. Thank you for your help.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No response?? This isnt working out too good. I can't follow if you are supposed to call, or not. Good grief. Please dont call. I am shutting down my end of this conversation. John
Phone call session started
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic