Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Getting a code says it is something in the secondary air…

Getting a code says...

Getting a code says it is something in the secondary air injection pump .I removed pump and it works great and no water i assumed it was relay went and purchased new relay installed and still no air blower prior to purchase of relay i checked current and irt was present at relay spot used a jumper and the blower worked then that is when i went for new relay .I replaced and still no pump any ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

140.000 plus and yes has been doing fine on the start

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2008 cadillac dts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and i just described my moves

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this point

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

This pump only runs at certain times, primarily on cold start up. Are you sure it doesn't work? Just because it's not on doesn't mean it doesn't work.

it runs when i add voltage .a bypass if you will but did a cold key turn and no pump

OK. We have to find a way to determine if the ECM is commanding it or not. Do you have a trouble code you're trying to fix? What is the code?

Po411

P0411 can be a couple of different things besides the air pump. The air switching valve is also suspect.

However, before doing any of that, know that there is a software update from GM to address P0411. You really need a good scan tool to diagnose this, so you can command the pump and the switching valve to see if they work. They work so sporadically on their own, you can't predict it, and you'll pull your hair out trying to figure out when the ECM is commanding it and when it's not.

I wouldn't diagnose this without using a scan tool, despite the ability to test the circuits, etc. I have to know whether the computer is capable of controlling these things, and seeing what it sees via the scan tool. I would also update the software before going too much further, since they have a bulletin that addresses this code specifically.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

Very good response very good response time thank you

Thank you. Please click on the stars to leave a rating for me.

:-)

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician