Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car sounds like it's on a rumble strip when driving. It…

Hi, my car sounds...

Hi, my car sounds like it's on a rumble strip when driving. It happens sporadically and when I'm driving between 30-50mph or so.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2010 Cadillac SRX

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was at a shop before and they couldn't figure out what it was and then put shudder stop in it to see if that helped/ That worked for about 2 weeks and then it started doing it again.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

The battery and connections are fine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No engine lights are on or anything.

3/15/2018
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

Is your SRX the all when drive model?

it is

I'm thinking maybe the problem you are having is related to the AWD system.

How much testing/diagnosis do you plan to do yourself?

As much as I am able to.

First we need to make sure the tires are all close enough in size to not trigger the AWD system to accidentally activate while driving.

You need to park on a flat parking lot with about 30 feet of distance in front of you to drive. Take a piece of chalk and mark each tire where it contacts the ground. Then drive forward for about 30 feet and stop. Look at the chalk marks on the tires- they should all be in the same location on the tire. If one mark is more than a few inches off from the rest then the tires are too different from one another- due to wear, different age of tires, or inflation.

The tires being different cause the AWD system to think it's losing traction and activate causing the shudder. AWD shouldn't activate while driving at those kinds of speeds.

Okay I’ll give that a try.
Thank you.
Do you have any other suggestions as well?
If it’s not the tires?

If it's not the tires it could still be the AWD system, but it's not very common to see them fail.

Normally if the transmission is at fault you will get a check engine light and trouble codes stored in the vehicle's computer.

Oh okay.

One problem that can occasionally occur with this model is the torque converter lockup solenoid will engage and cause a shudder, but it's more of a one time shudder rather than a continual rumble.

You don't get any warning messages on the dash when it happens right?

With the torque converter. Is it a one time shudder and then it never does it again? When I’m driving it it rumbles and then stops and does that sporadically. No lights come on at all when it does it.

It usually jerks/shudders once as it engages, then shudders again when it disengages. This happens at about 45-50 mph and occurs when accelerating and then again when decelerating.

Okay I’ll keep an eye out for that and check the tires.

Let me know how the tires look and we'll go from there.

Okay I will. Thank you.

I'm willing to bet it's from the tires- these cars are pretty stout.

I have to find some dry ground to test the chalk

To be clear, you are marking the tire, not the ground. Then you drive forward and see where the mark is on the tire in relation to the marks on the other tires.

Yeah. It’s just pretty wet from the melting snow and I don’t want the chalk to mess up.

Ok cool. I just wanted to be sure we were on the same page.

Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician