Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My MIL came on and car would not start after shutitng down…

My MIL came on...

My MIL came on and car would not start after shutitng down after remote start 15 minute shut down. I called onstar who did a diagnostic test and no codes came up, they transferred me to Cadillac roadside and someone came to boost my battery. Cadillac boosted battery, after about 5 minutes, car was able to start. Light not on anymore, did another diagnostic, no codes, no lights, and had battery checked it was fine. Started and restarted no problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?

Nope. New battery from July. Battery is good

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2012 srx

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

It is running, I really think I set off the anti theft system or something

3/14/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, at any time when it shut down and would not start, was the theft disabled or starting disabled message blinking on and off or staying on steady when trying to start it

I had the remote start on, it shut of fjust as my child and I both opened our doors, I was also on the phone and it connected to the vehicle. I pressed the start button moments after car cut off, then tried it two more times. this is when the disabled button came on, car would not start and only light on was the MIL picture. It went off once the mechanic restarted. Took car to mechanic, checked all valves, no diagnostic codes came up, checked battery-everything fine. Car had been turned off and restarted several times.

Ok, there is a problem with the antitheft system, ranging from a weak key fob battery, intermittent fault in the key antenna in the ignition which receives a signal from the key fob, or control module fault

Based just upon the symptoms, including lack of fault codes, I suspect either a weak key fob battery or key fob fault.

You are going to need to have a GM dealer test the key fob and go from there to resolve this so it doesnt happen again

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager