Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. sometimes will not start with…

Customer Question
I have a 2003 Cadillac...
I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. sometimes will not start with key and locks key in the ignition. I can turn key to on and jump starter relay and it will crank and will drive fine and when I turn it off I can remove the key til the next time I try to start then key will not turn back to remove. Any ideas?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
3/13/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Does the anti theft light blink when this happens? Do you have a second key? If you do try using the other key and see if it has the same issue and let me know about the anti-theft light.
no anti theft light and same on both keys
I would check and make sure that your battery is good A lot of people that have this problem just have a bad battery and some of these models actually have like a battery test and if it doesn't have enough cold cranking amps for some reason it lock the key in the ignition like this I think because of a bad sensor values or something.Also some of these models had the key recalled so you should call and talk to Cadillac and see if your key was covered by that.Because neither of those things than the engine computer is probably faulty which was common on this model as well. Being that having another key cut and program to the car would be cheaper than engine computer you might give that a shot first.So have the battery tested, see if the key was covered by a recall, possibly get another key cut and then the engine computer would be the next thing.
battery is good still no change. ran the vin. Customer said its a 2003 but vin says 2005. Has key switch recall I am waiting on dealer to set appointment
That's more than likely going to fix it then, please don't forget to return it except or I don't get any compensation for helping.
dealer making whole bunch of excuses why it will not start at all now. I will contact you tomorrow as I gave them 1 day to complete