Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Complete power loss, key turns, nothing shows any life. Is…

Customer Question
Complete power loss, key...

Complete power loss, key turns, nothing shows any life

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Is in park, steering is locked

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

98 seville

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Seville yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, can't move it, tried charging battery, check some fuses and relays, one ignition fuse (10) bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

One serviceman advised that it probably was a master fuse. Don't know where that might be.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cadillac
3/12/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Amedee, Cadillac Technician replied 3 months ago
Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician

Hello and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

Have you checked all of the fuses?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

All fuses marked ignition or starter. Yes

Sounds good. Lets start at the battery. Have we checked the battery voltage? Have we load tested the battery? If not, that would be your next step. The battery might just be faulty.

Another possible cause would be a bad connection at the battery or at the fuse block or even a bad/faulty ground. But start at the battery first and go from there. If the battery checks out good, then yes, check the main/maxi fuses to ensure they are good. If so, check to see if they have battery voltage on them indicating there is current in and out of the main/maxi fuses.

I am glad I can help! Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Battery is good. Where is the main/maxi fuses?

Let me try and locate a diagram for you.

According to the factory diagram, you have the under hood junction box and the rear junction block.

Do you know where both of these are located?

I have checked every fuse marked ignition or starter. Found one (ignition 1) that was bad. Checked mini relays also. Looking for master fuse or relay or maxifuse.

There is a circuit breaker for the starter located under the hood, but that alone will not prevent the rest of the components from getting power. Other than that, no main/maxi fuse for the entire vehicle.

Your best bet would be to check power going into the main fuse block to see if there is power going in. If so, check voltage on the fuses to see if there is power making into the fuse block.

I am glad I can help!

Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STARS or SMILEY FACES" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

I just ask that you allow time in between replies as I may be helping other customers or offline spending time with the family.

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks and have a great day!!

Do you have any further questions?

Hello there!

I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?

If so, please let me know as I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Amedee