Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My passenger seat will not go all the way back it stops mid…

My passenger seat will...

My passenger seat will not go all the way back it stops mid way through

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2007 Dts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes look to see if anything was block the track

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No that’s it

3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

If you hit the seat button a second or third time, does it move a little more each time? Or is it just stopped dead halfway back?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It stops at the mid way point the motor is running but it’s not moving

Ah, OK. That means your adjuster is stripped. The seat adjuster components are not serviced separately, you can't buy a motor or cable for this. You have to buy a whole new adjuster and have it installed. Depending on your vehicle equipment, this adjuster is usually somewhere between $500 and $700, plus a couple of hours of labor to replace it.

Alternatively, you can source a replacement seat assembly from a junkyard, and probably save many hundreds of dollars going this way. Is this something you would like to try to repair yourself?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I unhooked the battery let it sit then reconnected it. The seat moved back it was slow but it moved past the half way point

Is something jammed under the seat, keeping it from moving? It's not uncommon to find a shoe, a magazine, or whatever crammed under the seat and restricting seat movement.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nothing under the seat but found change in the track at the beginning on the inside of the seat

I wonder if there is more change in the track toward the rear, jamming it up? Can you move the seat fully forward and inspect the track at the back end of the travel?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Moved forward then back didn’t see anything else in the track but still moved slow at the mid way point
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
But did go all the way back

Whatever is in there is probably stuck pretty good at this point. It may work itself out eventually, but the worst case scenario is that this does some damage to the seat adjuster over the long run, and you end up needing a replacement, which takes me back to the top of the page.

But it sounds like you have it working as well as it's going to work at this point. Short of disassembling it and finding what it causing the binding, are you satisfied with how it's working now or do you want to take it apart?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m going to leave it for now. I’ll look further into later.

OK, that's a good plan!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician