Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I was driving on the high way and the stabilitrak warning…

I was driving on...

I was driving on the high way and the stabilitrak warning and ABS lights came on....2011 Cadillac Escalade with 115K miles. is this something a local mechanic can fix? is it an expensive fix?

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

They both came on at the same time...the warning came on and the ABS symbol did together

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. I'm not car mechanically inclined. i was thinking about taking it the oil change place and having their mechanic look. i just want to have a little knowledge before i go

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Is it worth the fix or do i just trade it in...i was about to start looking for a new vehicle anyway

3/11/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

This is something a local mechanic should be able to work out. It will require a good scan tool, stay away from oil change shops, Pep Boys or Sears or other chains, and find a good local independent mechanic to handle this for you. It's probably not an expensive fix, more often than not, it's a wheel speed sensor or something like that in need of replacement.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

does it affect driving the car? my wife drives it.

You can continue to drive it normally. If the lights are on, the ABS and stability functions will be reduced or inoperative altogether, but the conventional braking and other systems continue to work as they should. Most people never even realize the ABS and stability functions are there because they activate so rarely, but when you get into a panic situation, these systems can save your life.

Go ahead and drive it normally, be safe, and make an appointment with your local mechanic to have it looked at.

:-)

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician