Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I think that i have a broken wire on my trunk harness

I think that i...

I think that i have a broken wire on my trunk harness because i'm not getting voltage to the solenoid.

Mechanic's Assistant: What exactly is happening to the trunk?

The relay is clicking when I press the dash button and the key fob but the trunk solenoid won't open the trunk

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2012 dts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've verified that the trunk solenoid works by checking in on another cadillac and i've tested the wires that connect to the solenoid.

3/10/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

Is the TRK REL fuse open in the rear fuse block? Can you check that?

The trunk fuse tested good

OK, can you verify whether you're getting power on this fuse when you hit the release button? This fuse only has power when the trunk release relay closes, so you have to hit the button while testing it.

I've done that

So, does it have power then?

It has power to the fuse but not at the plug that goes into the solenoid.

If that is the case, then yes, the wire is broken between the fuse block and the trunk release solenoid.

There are no other components or even connectors in between, at least according to the service manual. From this point it's a matter of physically tracing that wire and finding where it's broken. I would gravitate to places where the wiring flexes, in this case, in the deck lid hinge area. If you follow that wiring down from the latch to where it enters the body, it has to flex at some point. Pull that conduit apart and have a close look at the tan/white wire, that's the wire you're after.

If you cannot find the break, it's perfectly acceptable to simply run a new circuit, route it appropriately in the OEM conduit, and simply leave the old circuit where it is, as it won't hurt anything if it's not connected to anything.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician