Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Click sort of sound when driving, not very loud and it

Click sort of sound...

Click sort of sound when driving, not very loud and it doesn't seem to get louder as I accelerate. it also has the same exact sound in my buick lucerne

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

Seems like the right side in the rear, but it could be the front. I don't think its the bearing either because on the Lucerne its brand new.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Lucerne?

2010 and the DTS is 2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Lucerne yourself? What have you tried so far?

Depends on what it is. I haven't tried anything yet. all ive done in that area is the breaks.

3/10/2018
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

If you think it's coming from the wheel area, I would put the car on a lift (if this were in my shop) and spin the wheels by hand to see if I could hear the noise. Loose brake pads, debris in the backing plate, loose wheels or wheel covers, this noise can come from all sort of things. Even a pebble in the tire can create a pretty persistent noise, that's relative to tire speed.

Replicating it on the rack is key, the mechanic (or you!) can locate the source easily if you can find a way to lift the vehicle and replicate the noise.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

You will also have an opportunity to add a tip to the payment if you wish, and that is greatly appreciated. I work very hard to make sure you're getting the very best information I can provide for you.

The weird thing about it is that it's on two different cars, same noise same pitch sounds identical.
The only thing I've done is the brakes,

Does the click sound correlate with tire speed, does the frequency get faster if the car goes faster?

No stays constant, can't hear over 20mph cuz of Rd noise

There are a number of devices that operate on a PWM, or pulse width modulated, signal. If you were to listen to one of these devices, like a purge solenoid, you'd hear it clicking rapidly. I can't say that I've heard one of these devices from the driver's seat, though, but my hearing isn't what it used to be, either. :-)

But you only hear it when the car is moving?

Only when it's moving.

I wonder if it is the purge solenoid you're hearing, because that valve only should be operating when the vehicle is moving. There are probably other possibilities, too, but none come to mind right off.

Your mechanic should be able to put this on the rack, have an assistant in the driver's seat put it in gear and let the wheels spin, while he stands under it and locates this noise. That's how we do it in the shop, very effective, we can usually put our hands right on the issue when we replicate it like this.

Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician