Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When i try to open it, it will only open about an inch then…

When i try to...

When i try to open it, it will only open about an inch then gets stuck.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2012 CTS

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to. I am in the researching/toubleshooting stage right now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The rear of sunroof opens and closes normally. It is just when I try to open it all the way from the front, it gets stuck.

3/9/2018
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Had this been giving you troubles prior to this? "
Have you done any inspection of the system yet? IS there anything such as dirt or debris caught in the tracks?

I have had zero problems with the sunroof prior to this. I did inspect the roof while it was in the stuck position. I did not see any dirt, sticks, debris of any kind...

OK, so there are no bulletins that I can see meaning GM does not have a chronic problem with these. WE are then looking at a possible binding or lubrication issue. Lets start by cleaning and lubricating the track. Use compressed air then a light oil to lubricate the track assembly. See if we can work it loose.
Also make sure your sunshade is not getting in the way and nothing is on top of it that can cause this.
We can also remove the glass to inspect. With it closed, take the close out panel off then remove the 4 screws. Note the position and fit of the window glass, slightly low in front and slightly high on back, 1mm low in front and 1mm high in the back.

If the issue does not correct itself with this then honestly our options are limited. Much of the sunroof is serviced as an assembly. Only times

I'll give it a shot.

Sounds good.

Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic