Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Won't start indicator won't tell me I'm in park. New battery…

Customer Question
Won't start indicator won't...

Won't start indicator won't tell me I'm in park

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

Nope new battery no corrosion

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?

2007 dts

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?

Car was starting fine made mistake and left key on battery died got new one won't start

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Cadillac
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
Cadillac Mechanic: Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician replied 4 months ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician

Does the indicator light up any gear at all?

Nope

OK. Let's do this: disconnect both battery cables from the battery. Hold the two cable ends together for several seconds, shorting them out. This clears all of the volatile memory in all of the computers of the car and forces a hard restart. After a few seconds, reconnect the cables to the battery and try to start it, and let's see if that changes anything.

Ok

Can you do this tonight, or do you want to wait until tomorrow?

Doing it now

OK!

No that didn't work

OK. You can get trouble codes from this car without a scan tool, are you familiar with how to do that? I can walk you through it if you like.

I'm sorry, scratch that last response, I was thinking of a different year.

I don't no u can walk me through it
I still there
U gonna walk me through it

You can NOT retrieve trouble codes on this car without a scan tool. And that's important, because that's what needs to happen. Based on your description of things, it seems that there is a communication issue within the car. The dash doesn't know what gear to light up, because the computer responsible for telling it what gear the car is in isn't talking.

This needs professional diagnosis. This is beyond a DIY repair. Sometimes when a battery goes down slowly like that, it takes a computer with it, but there are many computers in this car, and just about any of them have the ability to do what your car is doing. A professional diagnosis is where it's at.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know. I am happy to follow up with you.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.