Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I just changed the alternator in my 08 sts because the car…

Hello I just changed...

Hello I just changed the alternator in my 08 sts because the car would not start and it was telling the battery was not holding a charge, the car was switching to battery saver mode... Now that the alternator has been changed, the car we not turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you changed a battery before?

The battery was less than a year old, so I took it back to autozone and they charged it back up for me... when I put it back in, everything turned on fine, but the engine will not turn over.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?

My mechanic is, and he said it's not giving him any error messages

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just need some help diagnosing the possible issue?

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/9/2018
HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Technician

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

thanks

Hello, so now there are now diagnostic trouble codes stored or faults indicating its in a fail safe mode? The dash lights up but the starter doesnt turn over the engine? No security lights are on or flashing? Does it have an aftermarket remote or other accessories installed?

The remote is a new remote that I got from the dealership about 4 months ago.
No flashing lights or codes coming up on the dashboard. the engine light is on yellow but not blinking.

Ok so you turn the ignition key(if its a key) and the starter doesnt spin over? does the radio dim out when holding to the crank position? The battery definitely has a full charge? Horn works, headlamps work?

it's a push-start and yes the radio and everything else is working fine
headlights work fine, it's definitely getting full power.
it cranks out for a while trying to turn it over and when it doesn't, it just goes back to parked mode
Still with me?

Ok, does it have a remote start and does that work? So it does crank over sometimes but it wont run. Do you have fuel pressure and spark?

Does have a remote starter but it doesnt work. I'm not getting fuel pressure at all
spark... what do you mean?

Ignition spark, remove a coil and see if you are getting a nice blue spark when cranking the engine. You need to isolate this to a sub system, fuel system, ignition system. Since you have no codes, which is odd, then you will need to check these other systems.

K. I'll try it tomorrow. thx.

You are welcome, and try a different scan tool to check everything, this car has multiple modules that need to be checked. If you are using a simple code reader then you may not be getting all the information you need to diagnose this properly.

If you need more help or information please let me know. If I was helpful, please use the 5 stars above to leave a positive rating

HDGENE
HDGENE, ASE Master Technician
Will do. Thanks again

You are welcome, thank you!