Cadillac

Cadillac repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Upper steering reassemble on a 1991 cadillac deville.

Upper steering reassemble on...

Upper steering reassemble on a 1991 cadillac deville. Between the tilt and the lock ring

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fluids?

No that's not it. The bearing around where the signal level ad horn assembly sit

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?

I don't think we're getting anywhere. Yes, this is a DIY. Mechanic please

3/8/2018
Pete, Cadillac Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Are you looking for a part number for this bearing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. The reassemble order once I have the bearing and cap in place. I have seen two different versions on line. From the bearing cap, retaining spring, white plastic horn collar, locking plate, press it down and put the clip in place. OR...white plastic horn collar against the bearing cap, then spring, then locking plate, squish it down and then the clip.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lets see how far we get before a call.

O.k.,unfortunately my info is not showing me this on this model here.

Unfortunately, this is all of the info I have for this here.I will open your question up for others here for others to see if they can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease. No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK. I'm going to make a basic diagram, put it up on my cloud and send the link here. It might help. Or...use the Add Files feature
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

do you still need info???

are you there????

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please. My basic question is: Building back from the upper shaft bearing, is the reassemble order:
Bearing / metal cap / spring / conical horn ring / locking plate / compress and add the retaining clip or,
Bearing / metal cap / horn ring / spring / locking plate / compress / retaining clip

yep saw it ll I have an exploded diagram for you. the spring goes under the white piece, give me a sec

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am. The basic question is posted just above

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hold please for a sec

yes, it is

roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was trying to let you know that I'm going to reassemble as per diagram and get right back to you. If it doesn't feel right, I'll probably initiate a call. This will take me about 10 minutes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll take and send pics as I re-assemble

ok, will be here

Roy

is the spring below the plate??

yes it needs to be pressed a little to attach the clip

Roy

yep, looks good.

do you have the depresser??

Rpy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Nobody told me I needed training as a Swiss clock maker to repair this crap��

LOL, I hear you. you did good. lucky you got an old timer like me that did hundreds of these back in the day

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Seems good. Now my hi low beams are back, the left turn signal shuts off (ten years of my wife letting me know it’s on) the bad steering wheel wobble is now right and I’m about to bypass the VATS crap with a resistor. Hopefully I don’t blow my face off by screwing up the install of the airbag. Yeah, you’ve be cool. How can I keep you avail and reconnect for a few other fixes in the next 24-48 hours? And make sure you get paid?

thanks. you can request me when you post a new question.

I will be traveling tomorrow to my home and will be home around 5 pm EST. I will be on from there on

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Perfect. We’ll be in touch. Did the pictures help? Next, other under that dash stuff. The heat cool redirect flap and the body computer EPROM I guess needs to be reseated in the socket to get my fuel gauge to read again. Already have a new sender and pump in

yep, pictures were great

Roy

roybelding
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician